Chugger Pump Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewC

Reaction score
Well I am finishing up my build on my single tier stand. I want to wire up a gfci to a switch in an outdoor waterproof box, then just plug in my pump and use the switch for on/off. I want to make sure my wiring is correct. My plan is to cut the female end off an extension cord and wire it to the "line" side of the gfci and wire the switch to the "load" side. Then, just plug in the pump and use the switch.

Is this the correct way to wire this?

doesn't sounds right to me... the GFCI only protects downstream... sounds like your switch is unprotected.

im sure someone with more knowledge then me will chime in though.

dan

On the GFI outlet you have a Line side and a Load side.

The line side will supply the GFI outlet's with power.

The load side will simply supply power to any other devices you add on for instance another outlet or multiple outlets. Now your GFI being first inline will protect the added devices.

So in a since your switch will be protected in two ways, one if your pump fails it will trip the GFI first and protect your line voltage. Second what ever outlet you plug your extension cord into will ultimately be protected by the main breaker at your homes service panel. You may want to consider plugging into a GFI outlet to protect line voltage to your remote GFI/switch .

Attached is a quick hand sketched schematic. Using the switch as the on/off to the GFI line voltage and ultimately turning on/off your pump.

OK so for what ever reason I could not upload my sketch. PM me with email address and I can send it to you.

For now I will quickly explain.

Hook your wires up to the Line side only.

Your white wire will go to the neutral side terminal of the GFI.
The green wire obviously will go to the ground terminal on both the switch and GFI.
The black wire will go to one side of your switch. Then you will need a second piece of wire to connect to the other side of the switch and then connect to the HOT side of your GFI.

The switch will now interrupt the supply voltage to the GFI turning the outlets/pump ON and OFF.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Just wanted to throw up my appreciation for this post as it outlined exactly what I was looking for. I'm attaching what I decided to go with. Used a 20 amp switch and a 20 amp GFCI to account for a 2000w element (although right now it's just for a pump). The cover is a combo cover that I had to cut out to fit the GFCI in the face plate. 25ft 12 gauge extension cord. Was able to wire it up just from your description. Switch turns on power to the GFCI. Thanks again!

IMG_0316.jpg

Back