is my regulator broken??? ugh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
So I attached my regulator to a new swapout tank of co2 yesterday evening. It worked fine last night. I just opened my beer fridge to get a coke, and I noticed it was up to 60 line PSI!!!

I shut off the tank, disconnected the gas and bled the corney, and then turned the regulator to 0 (screw disengaged).

I opened the tank valve. The line PSI just keeps climbing. All the way to the max. This is with the gas disengaged from the keg (so its not keg pressure). The only way to stop it is to shut the Co2 tank off. Whenever the tank is opened, the PSI in the line just keeps maxing out.

What in the freaking hell is going on?
:mad:

It could be that your diaphragm(9) may be stuck in the open position because of a stuck spring. Or the diaphragm may have debris under the sealing surface or possibly a tear or hole in it.

You should take it apart to inspect to find out. Just pay close attention to the order that the parts are installed so that it goes back together correctly. The parts fit loosely inside the body so don't hold it in the air while unscrewing the two halves of the body or some of the parts may end up on the floor.

Part (4) unscrews from the main body of the regulator. It has a right hand thread. Make sure you back off the pressure adjusting screw before unscrewing part (4)

The disk(5) has a dimple in it and should be facing the regulator body when reinstalling. Everything else is straight forward as far as reassembly.

Here is an image of what your regulator should look like on the inside.

219.gif.jpg

Exactly as stated above. I had the exact same thing happen with my brand new setup; pressure just kept climbing and over-carbed my first two kegs.

Turn the pressure setting valve counter clockwise as if to lower the pressure and loosen it all the way and take it off. Behind the dial you will find a spring and a rubber diaphram. Inspect the diaphram carefully for any imperfections or debris. Mine had the smallest piece of rubber imperfection on the edge, which once removed and replaced worked perfectly. Make sure when re-installing the diaphram that you tuck all the edges back in flush and even.

Back