Carbon Residue on Bottom of BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
Is there any way to avoid this?
I use a propane burner with a ceramic coated BK and always get in incredibly thick layer of carbon residue on the bottoms and sides where the the flames come up when I have it cranked up to reach boil.

Is it my burner, my kettle, or is this something that just happens? I'm tired of ruining shorts, jeans, and shirts (not to mention my carpet when I accidentally set it down without a ground cover) with carbon stains that wont come out.

Help! Please!

post a picture of it......had the same issue until i realized there is a setting on it that allows air to mix and produce a blue flame, and no carbon......

post a picture of it......had the same issue until i realized there is a setting on it that allows air to mix and produce a blue flame, and no carbon......

At work now, will try to snap a shot while on lunch tho, I guess I just need to play with the carb on it to get the air mixture right.

Not enough oxygen in the mix. If the mixture is correct, propane burns into mostly CO2 and H2O. If there is not enough oxygen, you get some CO2 and H2O, but also some C and CO. The C is seen as black soot on your kettle, and the CO is obviously a problem if you are in an enclosed area.

Check/adjust the shutter/damper/carb setting. Also check for obstructions (insects, spider webs, debris, etc.) in the air inlet or inside the burner, and check for plugged orifices.

Latest posts

Back