WLP001 or Pacman for Hoppy Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am making a huge red ale with a pound of columbus in an 11 galon batch, with 1.070 OG and possibly some honey added to the boil. I am really having a problem deciding on yeast. I love pacman and the beers it produces are fantastic, but now that it is spring my basement is now to warm to keep it at 60 degrees so I ferment around 64 degrees in the ferementer now. I love the way it floculates and ferments nice and clean.

However, I know that WLP001 is great at accentuating hops and can work in an extreme of temperatures. The one and only thing I can't stand abou this yeast, which is also what makes it such an attenuator, is that it stays in suspension forever. The last thing I want to do is use gelatin in this beer because of the hops......

so I am stuck in my decision, I am leaning towards WLP001 and just cold crash the yeast out and then dry hop, but I am still struggling with it.

Any results yet?

I bucked the trend and used WLP007.

OG = 1.072 FG = 1.009.

2.5 ounces of whole cone columbus dry hopping in each of two 5 gallon kegs right now. 11 ounces of whole cone columbus in the boil and 5 for dry hopping. I think the brew will be nothing short of spectacular.

If you want the recipe I can sure post it.

I'm really interesting in hearing about how this beer turned out with WLP007 - I'm considering doing a run of Pale Ale/Imperial Stout/Barley Wine with this yeast. That attenuation is crazy - how is the balance of dryness/hops/malt?

Probably have to wait to hear the results, so thanks in advance!

dan

I'm really interesting in hearing about how this beer turned out with WLP007 - I'm considering doing a run of Pale Ale/Imperial Stout/Barley Wine with this yeast. That attenuation is crazy - how is the balance of dryness/hops/malt?

Probably have to wait to hear the results, so thanks in advance!

dan

With this beer I did not use a 60 minute bittering additon. I used First Wort hopping and then additions at 30,15,10,5 and Flameout to get all of my bitterness. It says around 100 IBU, but I don't think beersmith calculates FWH hop additions properly.

My samples at kegging time tasted really, really good. Suprisingly after two weeks in primary it was not fiery at all with the %8.5 ABV. It reminded me alot of arrogant bastard. Here is the recipe

12 gallon batch

25# two row
1 # C50
1#C75
1#C120
4 oz Chocolate Malt
1.5 pounds honey at flamout

2 oz columbus at FWH
1 oz columubus at 30
2 oz columbus at 15
2 oz columbus at 10
2 oz columbus at 5
2 oz columbus at FO
5 oz columbus dry hop
Mash at 154
WLP007
ferment at 67
OG = 1.072 FG 1.010 or less.....

I have no doubt that this will be amazing beer

i was gonna suggest wlp007 based on the recent praise i've been reading about it - just used it in my batch from this weekend and plan on reusing a bit of the cake with my barleywine

I bucked the trend and used WLP007.
Actually, I was more interested in learning your experience with the WLP001 mentioned in the title. I use a lot of Pacman, but couldn't resist Ed's sale. Don't plan on brewing his recipe, but for the price of the supplies it seemed like a good deal. Had him package everything seperately so I can just use it as I need it. Ordered two of them.

The kit comes with WLP001, so I was interested in how it would compare to Pacman when used in the same recipe. Out of habit, I use mostly Wyeast, so don't no what to expect from the White Labs.

Back