American IPA Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandigital

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP 001
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 72-74
Tasting Notes
Very hoppy and Worth the Wait.
3 IB. 5 oz. Pale Malt
11 oz. Carmel Malt 60
4.0 IB. Light DME
2 IB Light LME
1.2 oz. Magnum Hops (60 min)
1.0 oz. Magnum Hops (5 min)
1.0 oz. Crystal Hops (5 min)
.67 oz. Magnum Hops (Dry Hop)
.67 oz. Crystal Hops (Dry Hop)
.67 oz. Citra Hops (Dry Hop)

Mash Grains in sack in 2 gal water @ 152 F, for 45 min. Sparge 2.0 gallon of water @ 180 F though strainer in Barly tea. Top off to 4 gallons. Add dry extract and bring to Boil (90 Min) add hops as indicated. Add LME at (15 min).
Note: Add Water if wort falls below 3.5 gal during boil.

Top off to 5.5 gallons in fermenter.

How close does it taste to Torpedo? That's one of my favorites, and I'd love to make my own.

Pretty close. I got the recipe from "brew your own" magazine special edition. 250 greatest beers! It has a lot of great recipes. Both all-grain and extract with grain.

Dry hopping is exactly as it sounds. Once you cool your wort, pitch your yeast and fermentation has taken place (2 wks avg) you add your dry hops to the then beer for a min of 2 wks or as long as you feel needed to have the hops extract a better nose and bitter taste to the beer. If you rack to a secondary you may add your hops then. Be careful if you rack to a secondary though, infection can be an issue if the beer is not topped off to the top of the secondary. I usually just add the dry hops to my primary after a couple of weeks to remove the chance of getting a funky beer.

My question to the poster, is there any special type of yeast used to ferment this brew? I am the biggest fan of Torpedo and if this recipe is cost effective and taste as close to the brew as you say I am sold on brewing nothing else, EVER!

Thanks

Back