2-3 year old wine kit, still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
I have just received a Vintner's Reserve White Zinfandel kit for free from a friend. The kit is between 2 and 3 years old. I asked a guy at a brew shop and he said they're supposed to pull the kits after 18 months. What are the chances this kit is still good? I already bought a new packet of yeast to use. What do you guys think?

Rather small, but if the concentrate tastes okay, what does it cost you beyond a 50 cent packet of yeast to try?

The bag of liquid didn't taste that great straight but once I mixed it with water it seemed already. Very sweet, little bit of "plum" flavor. I think it will turn out fine.

I just opened a 1 year old kit. 2008.

The yeast has a use by date of June 2011.

Thats 3 years.

If it starts, it should be fine.

The wine is fermenting nicely. One question though...I know it looks darker in the carboy than in a wine glass, but the wine is brown...not pink at all. I don't know much about wine but isn't a white Zinfandel usually pink?

Anyone know if it's good that the wine in my carboy is brown and not at all pink?

It's getting close to being done fermenting. Maybe when I add the finings to clear it up it will turn color?

LOL @arturo, I wish it worked like that and I didn't have to wait for it to age :)

Latest posts

Back