Temp Controller Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_B_Mongo

Reaction score
So my parents just bought a new upright freezer, which means I just scored a FREE older upright freezer. I'm ordering a SS conical fermenter once I get over to the folks to take some measurements.

But I wanted to ask those out there who have built fermentation chambers, what controller do you like the best? I'm really only familiar with the Johnson Controls, Northern Brewers product, and have heard about the Love one.

Any and all input is much appreciated!

Thanks.

I recently bought a Ranco temp controller and am very happy with it. I use it for fermentation temperature control and it seems to work great. It was easy to wire and easy to use.

Ranco Temp Controller

I also purchased a Ranco temperature controller for Ranco ETC. It's a great controller! I have it on my keezer and haven't had any problems with it. I will just say one thing, I ordered from Ranco ETC and the first temp controller did not function. It is very easy to wire, but for whatever reason I was getting no power to the controller. They were very hard to work with and did not allow me to return the controller. I ended up ordering another one from another site and it worked perfectly!

If you're not comfortable with wiring the device, I would personally recommend paying the extra $10-15 dollars and just getting a pre-wired device.

I favor the LOVE controllers over the Ranco. I have both, and think the LOVE is more flexible and more professional looking. Check out my fermentation chamber build in my sig to see how I utilized mine.

I have the love on my Kegerator that I am building now for the bar area. I think it has a cleaner more professional look . now the fermentation and kegerator in the back room just have Johnson analogs. They work well and were plug and play (pre-Wired) They both do the job they were intended to do.

not done yet still needs to be painted and two more taps installed .. I should listen to my own advice never put something into service before it done..

kegerator41.jpg

So I too have just aquired a freezer but I am a total n00b at electronics. For those of us not comfortable tearing into a brand new freezer the johnson and rancos will work fine right? Id like to do a love but like I said I am not electronically inclined. I think I might need my electrician friend to help me if I go that route.

I have a Love. I wired it up by cutting a heavy duty extension cord in half, and basically putting it in the middle. The extension cord plugs into the wall, and the freezer into the extension cord. So, it cuts the power to the freezer when it hits the right temp. I have wire two this way and I "love" them. Lots of settings to tinker with if you're so inclined.

So I too have just aquired a freezer but I am a total n00b at electronics. For those of us not comfortable tearing into a brand new freezer the johnson and rancos will work fine right? Id like to do a love but like I said I am not electronically inclined. I think I might need my electrician friend to help me if I go that route.

Its not that hard to do the Love but if you are the least bit worried about doing it your self the others come pre-wired and are super easy to use. An electrician could do the Love in a few minutes . It took me longer to cut the hole for it than to wire it.

I don't think the prewired Johnson or Rancos can get any easier. Plug-and-play!

Mine looks very similar to Springers. I did not have to cut into the freezer wiring at all. It

All right, so the LOVE TSS2-2100 dual stage controller is what I need for my Ferm chamber so I can do hot and cold.
Does anyone know off hand what the model # is for the single side one (just cooling) for my keezer?
Oh also with the Love's you have to purchase the temp probe too right?
I think I can handle that entension cord wiring Munsoned used.
Thanks guys and sorry to piggy back on your thread Mongo. I hope what I'm asking helps you too.

No worries josiahcox, it's all helpful. I checked out Boerderij_Kabouter's side by side ferm chamber build from his signature. I think it may fall into the realm of my limited electronic skill set. I really like how professional the ones that are mounted on the inside look. I may have to take another look at it before I start cutting the thing open!
Thanks to all for the input!

even the not prewired ranco was very very simple and I'm no EE.

(though I was an EE for a good while when I started college... learned a bit about circuits)

but anyway, you really need no experience with anything to wire a RANCO

Ok, here's another question...I've decided to go with the Love TSS2-2100 Temperature Switch, because I want to do lagers and ales-but what kind of heater do I need, and how do I wire it to the controller?

Back