Green Beer? Well its not green, well mabe it is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraAgent

Reaction score
I have done lots of searches on green beer, most of the info does not meet what my second brew is going through. It is a light german beer kit from tru brew.

First I have no hydro readings.
Pitched my yeast, whort way to cold but fermentation took off after a while.
Left it in carboy for two weeks.
Beer in carboy smelt great, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful
It had a golden brown color in carboy.

During bottling I noticed that it had an off color. (Yea a yellowish green) almost urine colored.

Doing research on this site Ihave found that that "green"beer has an apple or pumpkin tatste...........Mine however is almost lemon tasting and empty. Smells nothing like it did in carboy.

They have been in the bottle since sat and they seem to be starting to clear up. the necks are clear while the bottoms are still cloudy. And so far I just plan on waiting it out for a few weeks.

The only thing that troubles me is the lemon taste, as i could not find any examples on this site that applies to lemon tastes.

Any idea on the lemon taste?

RDWHAHB. Time cures all green beer.

I just had a scare with two batches.... white floaty things in secondary... a color change.... and a completely different taste profile (was convinced I had made 10 gallons of vinegar, or had a lacto infection).

It was bottled so I figured I'd just wait the four weeks to see if the vinegar would be usable.

Four weeks later and the vinegar sucks, but the beer turned our great! :D

:mug:

What type of hops and how much did you use ?
The color could be from the hops. The lemon (citrus flavor) from the type of hops.

I just bottled a batch that I dry hopped twice and before it settled out it was neon green.

Is it a lemon taste or a sour taste? Pure guess but it could be some kind of infection. What kind of sanitation procedures did you use?

Not sure what kind of hops I used, I think i need to start writing this stuff down. I know it came with the kit:D

It's only been in bottles a few days. Back away from the beer and try it again is a couple weeks. It will be a different beer then, I promise you.

I used c-brite. I am very anal about my sanitation, very anal so I dont think it was anything to do with sanitation. It is a lemony taste one would get from biting into a seed from a lemon. Lemony with a little tart flavor on the back of the tounge. It tastes nothing like it smells.

I plan of giving it a couple of weeks, My first batch was Rouges Dead Guy Ale. and It was good from the start, Is it the type of beer that would make it need to sit longer for everything to cometogether? Cause that dead guy ale was (cause its allgone) awsome first brew experience

I'm just a n00b at homebrewing, but you said the kit was a "light german beer".

Lemon tasting and empty...maybe that's just the style? A lot of the germans I've been drinking lately could be described as a very a very lemon hop flavor. I'm drinking Flying Dog Hefeweizen now, and it's more of an orange than a lemon, but compared to some others I've had lately, I would describe it as almost "empty". Would be good for after cutting the grass, but kind of let-down after drinking a lot of bocks recently.

I would agree with most others here...too early. Even though I'm a n00b, I got the advice before starting w/ Mr. Beer to do 2-2-2:
2 weeks ferm., 2 weeks bottle, 2 weeks frig. and it worked out fairly well for me. But now I'm wondering if even longer in the bottles when I was doing that would have made it even better.

I like what I've been reading from Revvy about stashing the bottles away for 2 weeks or more before putting one or 2 in the frig to see how they're doing, and waiting even longer if necessary for the rest.

duane I think you are right. it was described to me as a grass cutting beer, and that may be the way it is going to taste. After ales,porters and stouts it is just empty. This may just be the make up of my beer!

Back