double double ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmasterpa

Reaction score
so i brewed my first ipa this weekend. i think i going to have a case of bitter beer smile when its done though. i messed up on my hop additions. so the grain bill is pretty cut and dry. the hops were too, youd think. so i first wort hopped 1oz of warrior, this is on a 90 minute boil. then at 45 mins added 1oz centennial, and at 15 minutes 1 oz cascade. i was only supposed to put .5 oz centennial. when i plugged my recipe into recipator, theres no way to calculate extraction from the first wort hopping, so i assume i added another 10-20 ibu with that, then with the extra centennial i was at 88 ibu in recipator. so i think ill be right around 100 ibu. it was supposed to be 62 ibu. oh and i forgot about the 1oz of fuggle that im going to dry hop, but that wont do any bittering. does this sound awefully bitey to anybody else? during fermentation, my fridge smelled like a hop farm.

You won't get any extra bitterness from the FWH. 90 mins will get the full extent of that 1 oz of warrior. Also, if it were me, I think I'd dry hop with another oz of cascade instead of fuggle. Should be a pretty bitter IPA, though.

i tried to model it after the stone ipa, cuz that **** is awesome. i think i got the grain bill right, and the hops are the same except for the fuggle (i like fuggle) so we shall see how it is in 1.5 months.

some people actually think FWH can give slightly less perceived bitterness. I find it tends to give a very smooth bitterness.

some people actually think FWH can give slightly less perceived bitterness. I find it tends to give a very smooth bitterness.

I can attest to this...works great with high alpha hops to give a nice bitterness without the harshness of the bite. Hard to describe, but almost like a smolder instead of a flame.

Also, when you put your hops into a calculator, it might SAY that you're getting 100 IBUs, but there's really no way of being exact with that. You'd need to get your beer tested for actual IBU units. Often beer is less than the calculations might imply.

i did notice that when i tasted it before pitching the yeast, that the bitterness was very floral and not harsh. almost like the fwh mellowed the warrior hops out. now it did have a bitter aftertaste which i anticipate will mellow with aging. if that aftertaste mellows with aging, this should prove to be some good stuff, but if it goes the other way, it might not be drinkable.

I have a little bit of the Stone IPA clone I did, but under shot my efficiency so instead of 6.9% it is like 5.5%, but still has the 77-80 IBUs so it is one hoppy m'fer but that is why my friends like it.

I have a little bit of the Stone IPA clone I did, but under shot my efficiency so instead of 6.9% it is like 5.5%, but still has the 77-80 IBUs so it is one hoppy m'fer but that is why my friends like it.

That happened to me with an "IPA" I made a few batches ago. Low efficiency mixed with not checking the gravity before boil, and I ended up with an 88 IBU APA!

Back