What NOT to do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsilk

Reaction score
Hey, all.

I used dos equis bottles. Stupid and a no-no. I didn't know. Now I have to cross my fingers that they sealed well. It seems they did, but we won't know until all is said and done, in about three weeks. Damn, I feel dumb and cheated.

From now on, good old American brown bottles.

normal_100_0964.JPG

coronas do well

what's wrong with the Dos Equis bottles? just keep them out of light. in a closet or something. they'll be fine.

was it hard to get a good seal on the lip? i think they have a narrow neck/lip for the european bottles do... if that is the case, give the bottle a quarter turn and recap, this will help to cinch the parts of the cap where the capper slipped off the lip.. give a turn with your hand too, to make sure it's not too loose... once it starts carbonating, the pressure will tighten the cap down even more.

DeRoux's Broux said:
what's wrong with the Dos Equis bottles? just keep them out of light. in a closet or something. they'll be fine.

Yeah, the problem is the short distance between the lip and the edge of that part at the top of the neck that is wider. What is that thing called anyway? For some reason most cappers have trouble with these types of bottles. Can somebody explain this? I have been curious for some time.

hhmmm? i used to use Dos Equis bottles (green and brown) and don't recall having any problems with them. maybe it was after i had two or six and didn't care! :~)

Greetings there homebrewing clan,

About bottles, I use 22 oz dark glass, and 12 oz bavarian bottles. Bavarian comes in a green glass bottle,
and has a label which is very easy to remove.
Just fill with water and soak in the sink with the dirty dishes, in 10-15 minutes they will peel right off.
Take a little piece of a brillo pad and scrape the residue off and
'bada boom' a free 12 oz bottle!

Now, dark glass is supposed to be better as it protects the beer or ale from the sunlight. But I keep my stash in the dark brewery, with the door closed so light is not a problem.
The green glass looks cool and very german looking.
Besides it is easier to fill since one can see though the glass.
I have used dark brown glass for 12 years, they are fine but I was getting tired of looking at them, the green is pretty and provides variety.
have 12 milk crates full of 12 oz green bottles right by my bed, and the 12 oz-ers fit right in the milk crates, 25 per crate, and easier to count.

Oh, and I call a beer glass, {bierglas}

J. Knife

I think it all depends on your capper. I have a lever type capper that actually works best on the narrow lipped bottles like Dos Equis and the European type green bottles. When I use the more traditional type bottles, my capper exerts such a crimping force on the bottle neck that I have actualy cracked a few. Your best option is to use a bench capper which completely eliminates the neck configuration as an issue.

On a side note: If you ever enter a competition, use a brown bottle, not a clear or green one. The green/clear glass story about "skunking" is so prevalent that sometimes you may get comments from the judges like "light struck" or "skunky" even if your beer is perfectly fine. All they had to do was see the green or clear bottle and their brain told their taste buds what to expect. Might be worth at least a point or two. Better to just eliminate this potential perceived bias and get as impartial a judging as possible. Use a brown bottle. Just my 2 cents.

Prosit!

I am bottling for the first time and have cleaned a lot of St Pauli Girl bottles using Oxi Clean. The labels come right off but the bottles take on a cloudy look that does not want to come off. IS there something I am doing wrong?

never used oxy clean, but rinse real good, then use a good sanitizer like iodophor, and let it dry. don't rinse again.

Why not just use a 20/1 beach water solution? Kill time for a 20/1 is <30seconds and it is dirt cheap.

AHammer16 said:
Why not just use a 20/1 beach water solution? Kill time for a 20/1 is <30seconds and it is dirt cheap.

i prefer not to use bleach. it's hard on stainless, and you have to rinse it off really good. i just prefer the no rinse iodophor. more suited for my brewing usage :D

AHammer16 said:

You have to rinse bleach which negates the benefits of sanitizing. No-rinse sanitizers are much more suitable.

I find it too much effort to cap beer bottles (not that I have ever tried) Im more talking about the sanitization process than just filling up an empty bottle with beer. It is alot of effort for me to bottle a 5 gallon wine kit. I used to bottle my beer in 2 litre coke bottles but find the idea quite revulsive and have moved away from it.

homebrewer_99 said:
Actually, I try to bottle one beer from each batch in a clear bottle so I can observe it while clearing. :D
Brilliant minds think alike.... I've got a dozen or so Samuel Smith clear bottles and I always use one per batch. That way I can check out the color, clairity, and whatnot.

(OK, I'm not brilliant, I just rip off ideas from other brilliant people...)

I have bottled in clear bottles before. I drink a lot of mineral water called Topo Chico. It a mexican water that comes in a clear 12 oz bottle. When I do bottle in these I keep them out of the light and have not had any problems. I usually only use these when brewing a stout or porter which will hold up better to light anyway.

It seems this thread has been hijacked as a conversation about bottle types. Anyone have experience bottling into 633ml bottles? I am expecting/ worrying about similar bottle shape and capper problems.

By the way Japanese Kirin bottles have a mirror finish, I assume to reflect and filter out more of the light. Here the bottles are re-used, so breweries are willing to invest more in the bottle itself. Nice for the home brewer.

I drank a bunch of Heiniken and saved up the bottles... I have used these to make several batches with no problems. I recently upgraded to a lever style capper, and love it! I is so much easier to use than the cheesy one that originally came with my homebrew kit... Soon though, I hope not to have to bottle at all... :D
Roger "Doc". :cool:

Latest posts

Back