Ubuntu users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonkeyShoes

Reaction score
Sorry to post this problem here but I'm having problems getting my wireless connection to work with the newest version of Ubuntu (8.10 - Intrepid Ibex). I have searched all over the ubuntu forums and have not been able to find a solution. Just wondering if there are any Ubuntu savvy HBTers that have some advice.

Ubuntu 8.10
Atheros 5007 wireless

Thanks!

MadWiFi drivers - start there. Errrrrr...

Damn it, you might have to use the NdisWrapper to get it to play nicely. I havent played with Ubuntu in a while. I had issues getting wireless to play nicely as well.
-Me

As joe mentioned, ndiswrapper is what you needs.

I am a little buzzed so I cant find the link that got me up and running, but try this...

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/ndiswrapper.html

I used the CD that came with my linksys WPC100 to supply the .inf file. Worked like a charm! If this does not work for you, I will see if I can dig up the link that got me up and running.

That particular chipset isn't supported by the mainline MadWifi driver, but there is a patched version called madwifi-hal which does work. I don't use Ubuntu, but if you search around you should be able to find instructions on installing it.

Personally I dislike ndiswrapper, but if you can't get the native driver working it's certainly an option.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna try these things and see if anything works. This is pretty much a deal breaker for Ubuntu.

First, let me ask, did your card work with a previous version of ubuntu, or is this your first shot?

Second, what is the output of both:

Code:
lspci

and

Code:
cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Back