First time starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drat12

Reaction score
I'm looking for some clarification on a couple of items on my first starter. I'm making a chocolate milk stout with wyeast 1332 that has an og of 1.050.

I took 2 cups water and 1/2 cups dme to make a 1.040 starter as I've read on here and mrmalty as well as some other sites. (Of course I did the whole boil the wort, cool,etc before pitching the smacked wyeast pack).

So, I started the starter on Friday night around 10:00. I'm considering having to make another starter and keeping 1/2 of it or so for a future beer (I have been yeast washing in the past, just thought I'd try to do it on the front end to avoid a bunch of trub).

So, question: what would my next starter have to be (volume,etc) and how soon should I make the new starter if I'm going to try to brew next Saturday or Sunday?

I've looked at a lot of posts, but couldn't get specifics for what I'm concerned about here. Thanks in advance!

Do you have a stir plate or intermmittent shake and swirl method? With a stir plate a starter can be done in 18 to 36 hours depending upon SG. Intermittent shaking allow at least 48 hours. It depends on how ofter the container can be shaken to aerate.

http://yeastcalc.com/ YeastCalc can lead you through the steps needed for an over sized starter to harvest from.
Good information in the tabs on the left side of the calculator page.

Allow time for cold crashing to settle the yeast.

I've gone with the advice from mrmalty:
http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
"Pitching a Wyeast Activator pack gives the following results within 12 to 18 hours:

1 liter starter = about 150 billion cells
2 liter starter = about 200 billion cells
1 liter starter, then pitched into 4 liter starter = 400 billion cells"

So, what I recently did was make a 4L starter, split it in half, step each half back up to 4L, then split and cold crash to get myself a total of 4 starters with 200B cells each. I did that a few weeks ago, and have already used two of the four starters, the other two are in jars in the refrigerator waiting for another brew day. :)

I've gone with the advice from mrmalty:
http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
"Pitching a Wyeast Activator pack gives the following results within 12 to 18 hours:

1 liter starter = about 150 billion cells
2 liter starter = about 200 billion cells
1 liter starter, then pitched into 4 liter starter = 400 billion cells"

So, what I recently did was make a 4L starter, split it in half, step each half back up to 4L, then split and cold crash to get myself a total of 4 starters with 200B cells each. I did that a few weeks ago, and have already used two of the four starters, the other two are in jars in the refrigerator waiting for another brew day. :)

Hmmm. Okay, so I did a 1/2 liter starter, so I'm nowhere near where I should be. I probably just wasted dme making such a weak starter, huh? Assuming I make an additional 1 liter starter, where would I be on the cell count now?

Make that a 1 or a 2 liter starter. I think I can find a gallon jug in the house somewhere... Unfortunately, my PC is on the fritz and my iPad can't do the calculator on the link provided. Thanks!

Alright -
So I made another starter this morning. This one was 1 liter in size with 100 g of dme (not quite 1 cup in size). We'll see what happens

With my stir plate my starters are done in 18 hours. How fast this takes depends on your method of stirring them.

This is a process that cant be overdone right? If you let it run for 2 days the yeast will be ok right? Most people say 24-36hours is the key time

732Brewer said:
This is a process that cant be overdone right? If you let it run for 2 days the yeast will be ok right? Most people say 24-36hours is the key time

Could run for 4-5 if you had to. Some people let them finish out, cold crash, decant the liquid, and pitch the remaining yeast cake.

If you pitch in 3 days the results will be fine. The longer approach vs pitching at high Krausen stems from the argument that your pitching nasty oxidized wort into your beer. I haven't noticed a big difference either way.

I only have 1 stir plate and no 5L beakers so I start about 3 days ahead of brew day and make 1 over 18 hours then put it in fridge and make 2nd starter. I pour starter beer out and pitch yeast after starters are at pitching temperature.

I only have 1 stir plate and no 5L beakers so I start about 3 days ahead of brew day and make 1 over 18 hours then put it in fridge and make 2nd starter. I pour starter beer out and pitch yeast after starters are at pitching temperature.

After cold crashing it and spilling out the top 3/4, are you then using that same yeast and mixing it with DME and starting over again with the same process?

Yes. I initially started doing this when I was trying multiple yeasts on a batch but continue in same fashion. I use 1 starter per 6.5g carboy.

I was able to get a pint of yeast from the starter along with the amount that I pitched into my 5 gallon batch. Looks like I got some yeast without going at the end of fermentation and having to wash it. Nice!

Looks like I'll be doing this again!

I have to get a small scale - thats what it comes down to. That will make things a lot easier

Back