Brew ktl for 5 gal extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggabrew

juggabrew
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a brew kettle to do my extract brewing. But I'm not sure of the size I want. It would be easer and cheaper to just get a 20qt ss pot to do 2.5-3 gal boils then add the remainder to get 5 gal. On the other hand, should I get a bigger pot to do full boils? Is it better to do full boils for extract?

A full boil for better hop utilization. But you'll be hard pressed to bring 6+ gallons to boil on a stove top.

runbad said:
A full boil for better hop utilization. But you'll be hard pressed to bring 6+ gallons to boil on a stove top.

Yeah that's the issue I have. I have glass top stove but I could get a burner from my moms deep fryer kit. I'm selling my house to move to Denver so most likely will be in a small apartment which might not allow me to have a gas stove. Guess ill have to just stick with the small boils

Go 10 gallon at least. You can get an aluminum winware stockpot for 40$ on amazon. It is plenty of room and you can grow in the future.

Back