Primary Fermenter Foul Odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuesunsommiel

Reaction score
My primary fermenter wasn't cleaned well enough the first time and now there is a strong, foul odor remaining from the old batch. I'm going to use odorless bleach and attempt to eliminate the odor, but is there even a point? Will it destroy/contaminate my next batch?

Bleach it, or use some PBW. It would have had to be in pretty rough shape it consider it a goner.

Thanks scottland......I soaked in baking soda and hot water for 6 hours and it cleared up pretty nicely, though a slight stain remained. I then repeated this and left it sit overnight. The smell was my primary concern, but the quickness at which it cleared up was pretty great and makes me pretty confident my new batch wont go pear-shaped.

My first dozen batches, I thought hot water and dish soap is enough. Then I started using PBW or oxyclean after every batch, and my buckets went from tan/yellow to white. Keep up the cleaning after every batch, its worth it.

Back