Yeast Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy3984

Reaction score
I've got a few questions about yeast.
If you guys could help me out, t'would be greatly appreciated.

1. Under pitching: I started an Irish Stout 4 days ago ( Cooper's Stout LME & Laaglander Dark DME). I was supplied with 7 grams dried yeast with the kit.
Is this really enough yeast? Should I worry about under pitching?

2. Using different strains of yeast in a single batch:
I haven't done this. Just curious to know if it is a problem.

3. Starters: What are the best ways to start your yeast? and Does it vary from dried to liquid?
What are some tried and true methods?

I think that's all....maybe.

I've ready Papazian's book and Palmer's online version. I have not found much info regarding these subjects. (Some but it is rather vague).

Thank you in advance

ziggy3984 said:
I've got a few questions about yeast.
If you guys could help me out, t'would be greatly appreciated.

1. Under pitching: I started an Irish Stout 4 days ago ( Cooper's Stout LME & Laaglander Dark DME). I was supplied with 7 grams dried yeast with the kit.
Is this really enough yeast? Should I worry about under pitching?

2. Using different strains of yeast in a single batch:
I haven't done this. Just curious to know if it is a problem.

3. Starters: What are the best ways to start your yeast? and Does it vary from dried to liquid?
What are some tried and true methods?

I think that's all....maybe.

I've ready Papazian's book and Palmer's online version. I have not found much info regarding these subjects. (Some but it is rather vague).

Thank you in advance

1. It maybe a slight underpitch, but it should be fine. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
2. One strain will win out over the other one, so it's kind of useless.
3. Generally, you only need starters for liquid. With your dry yeast, you'll just rehydrate it in some water, then pitch that into your wort.

Thanks for the calc link.

Will underpitching result in incomplete fermentation, slow fermentation?

I pulled a sample to check progress last night. (activity was strange) OG 1.050 as of last night 1.030.
Drank sample. It was already incredibly good. That's all one can ask for i suppose.

Also can someone point me in the direction of a direct answer to the primary/secondary issue? Is it necessary or just necessary for a pretty beer?

No, it'll ferment just fine. Sometimes when you way underpitch, the stressed yeast can cause off flavors, but that's not common at all.

A secondary is really a misnomer- it is called a bright tank in breweries, and a clearing tank for us. I almost always use one. But it's not necessary at all. It gives me some time to let the beer clear and age a bit before bottling. If you're not using a clearing tank, you could just leave it in the primary fermenter for about 3 weeks for nearly the same effect.

Back