Red, slimy goo at the end of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshi

Reaction score
Has anybody seen this: it's a deep red (almost amber), oily, slimy goo that I found at the bottom of my cylindriconical fermenter after I racked into kegs. I cold conditioned at 1 degree celcius for about a week previous to racking. I didn't see it in the beer at any stage, but I noticed it when I opened the bottom valve to the fermenter one all the beer was out and I was draining . It tasted bland (not good nor bad), but it smelled like hops, is there any chance this is concentrated hop oil? Or was that my imagination?

I've had a clear version of that drop from the perimeter of my carboy when I kegged in 90deg heat after a 5 day cold crash. I didn't have the desire (or balls) to taste it.

7923-7032.jpg

Pretty opaque, interesting, not sure what it could be, I guess I'll keep on eye on it to see if it happens again... ALSO, forgot to mention it was an orange wheat beer, and I ground up dried orange peels and corriander and put that it, perhaps it's orange oil? That could make more sense...

Back