50' Jockey Box Coil (Stainless)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Just ordered a new 50' stainless jockey box coil... building a new jockey box for a camping trip in October, and a gallery opening reception in November.

Current jockey box uses, 35' beer line coiled in ice, stainless is going to be more efficient. Old cooler is beat to hell and back. New cooler is going to look nicer and will be sporting the HomeBrewTalk.com sticker to show my support.

Will post pics when complete.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300621927400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

starrfish,
Was your old jockey box with beer line a 5/16"ID x 35' beer line?

What were some of the factors that influenced your choice of the 5/16"OD x 50 feet coil?

Regards,
John

I am going to be building a jockey box with S.S. coils. My plan was 3/8"OD x 50 feet coil (for low pressure drop)with a 10 foot 1/4"ID beer line to the shank.

My old box was 35' 5/16" ID beer line.

I wanted to upgrade to 50' stainless since at some places this jockey box is used there are a lot of pours in a row (gallery opening reception serving approx. one hundred people). AND with 35' of beer line during a recent summer camping trip with 6 people, beer was not as cold as it could have been after 6 pours (20oz servings).

At gallery openings I serve in 8oz pours, next camp out will be 16oz pours. (50' of 5/16" should be fine for efficient chilling)

This ebay model had all the fittings already attached and the coil was wound tight enough that down the road I'll could add a second coil and tap. Need to get box finished for 2 events in Oct.

I'll have also an extra 5' of beer line coming from tower to coil.

If it's 5/16 stainless line remember it's close to 1/4" Id. It should work fine. That eBay auction is Nybrewsupply. Contact them directly to get a better price. They made my jockey box coils, and were local so I could pick them up.

Thanks JRems. I'll keep contacting them Direct in mind when it comes time for second coil. I was thinking it was close to .25" ID... chilling more beer before completely emptying the coil. Even at the thicker diameter 50' should provide more than enough resistance, esp. since I'm stepping down from coil to 5' of 5/16" standard beer line to run up tower.

It's going to be more than enough resistance. You might want to use 1/4 line to the tower. You might even have to push at 20-25psi to get good flow. I spaced the coils apart with cable ties so the ice water is completely around them. It comes out Ice cold. Even after multiple pours.

Back