Midnattssol IPA (featuring Citra, Chinook and Centennial)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Newest IPA, featuring Citra, Chinook, and Centennial.

dscn1223-56215.jpg

Recipe and info at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Midnattssol-IPA.html Used mash hopping (Chinook) and first wort hopping (Centennial). 3oz of Citra dry hopping, too.

midnattssol-copy-1-56214.jpg

"Midnight Sun" in Norwegian/Swedish... I sort of expected this to be a black IPA due to the name :) Looks tasty, though! Maybe they decided to go with a standard colored (not black) IPA since it's a source of light when it is an otherwise dark period of time for most of the world???

Coincidentally, I recently brewed a batch that looks VERY similar to that one....except no wheat and used Columbus instead of Chinook. I called it "Frolicking Freya". Some sort of nordic serendipity going on here :)

Yes, it means Midnight Sun in Swedish. When we were in Sweden in the summer, the sun didn't set until after midnight, hence Midnight Sun.

Its been in the keg for about two weeks, so very fresh and the mango and citrus aroma and flavor is strong. Its a pretty big beer @ 6.8% abv and finished at 1.014. It is perhaps not as dry as some judges might prefer - but it does have a nice malty balance against the strong bitter. I think I notice a rounder bitterness than most of my hoppy beers, which I'm attributing to the first wort hopping.

Back