Double IPA Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BierMuncher said:
She'll get a full month in the primary. Then onto the secondary for at least 14 days on the dry hops.

I figure then she'll go to keg and into the garage at 45 degrees for at least 4-6 weeks.

I recon this will be fully drinkable sometime around St. Patti's day. I'll probably go right to bottles once it's carb'd up.

So since I am completely new to home brewing. How do you put beer in the keg then bottle it?

Once you carbonate your beer to the desired pressure you can transfer using a number of methods. I use the combination of a picnic tap, racking cane, and bung to do a DIY counter pressure fill. I just lower the co2 pressure down to about 4-6 psi when filling.

Update- this was a huge hit! I brought some into work and a friend who loves big beers told me he felt like he was high about 10 minutes after splitting a liter with me.

I also made a 15 gallon version using the same recipe minus the dry hop and it is freaking unbelievable.

This, the colder the beer, the more muted hop flavors become. Let it "warm" up a few minutes, you'll be surprised. I like drinking hoppy beers at 45f or so.

_

I brewed this on Dec. 17th and kegged it about three weeks later. It is so bitter that I can't drink it. It's mellowed to some extent over the last few weeks, but I'm worried about this brew. Has anyone that brewed this had a similar experience?

I'm tempted to pull it out of the kegerator and let it warm up so that it can age faster.

Thoughts?

I brewed this on Dec. 17th and kegged it about three weeks later. It is so bitter that I can't drink it. It's mellowed to some extent over the last few weeks, but I'm worried about this brew. Has anyone that brewed this had a similar experience?

I'm tempted to pull it out of the kegerator and let it warm up so that it can age faster.

Thoughts?

She'll get a full month in the primary. Then onto the secondary for at least 14 days on the dry hops.

I figure then she'll go to keg and into the garage at 45 degrees for at least 4-6 weeks.

I recon this will be fully drinkable sometime around St. Patti's day. I'll probably go right to bottles once it's carb'd up.

Room temp for 4-6 weeks would be a fair guess but three weeks to keg might be hard to overcome. Time is your friend.

This is gonna be my next brew...cant wait.
Do you think i could get a decent partigyle out of this if i added some more grain after collecting my wort?

Going to put a variation of this recipe to the test today. Cold outside, but that's not going to get in the way. Looking forward to the results....

Started the mash about 30 min ago can not wait to have a glass of this. Followed the recipe but using new Safale 05 didn't have any washed. I only had to buy one oz of crystal for this already had enough of all the other hops which was great!

So Tit's up tiny brother is also a massive hit! I overshot my efficiency and ended up with a 7% and did this as a primary only under pressure with no dry hop. I think I like this one even better than the IIPA.

This (or a slight modification) will definitely serve as my next brew. I haven't brewed an IIPA since my first AG botched batch of a Pliny clone.

Color me stoked.

Question for past brewers. I noticed that as this continues to age in the keg there's a bit of a marshmallow finish(equate to creamy and slightly sweet malt finish). Anyone notice this as well?

Hey I was wondering if there is a way to convert this recipe down to 5 or 5.5 gallons? My boiling pot isn't large enough....thanks.

Hey I was wondering if there is a way to convert this recipe down to 5 or 5.5 gallons? My boiling pot isn't large enough....thanks.

There is lots of brewing software out there to help you with recipes, some are for-pay like ProMash or BeerSmith while others are free. Google for them. Install, then add a new recipe. Input BM's recipe as given, then use the "Scale" feature if that software has one.

I ran it through BeerSmith 1.4 for you and got this. Here ya go :)

Batch Size: 5.00 gal Boil Size: 6.41 gal

13 lbs 13.5 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.71 %
12.3 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.71 %
12.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.71 %
3.1 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.18 %
12.3 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)

0.76 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 28.3 IBU

0.76 oz Nugget [11.50 %] (45 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
0.76 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (30 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.95 oz Cascade [6.10 %] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.76 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.76 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.76 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (10 min) Hops 7.1 IBU

0.96 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.96 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.96 oz Cascade [6.10 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.77 oz Summit [16.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -

Chriso said:
There is lots of brewing software out there to help you with recipes, some are for-pay like ProMash or BeerSmith while others are free. Google for them. Install, then add a new recipe. Input BM's recipe as given, then use the "Scale" feature if that software has one.

I'm new to homebrewing (well I just returned to the hobby after 19 years) and not familiar with these programs. do they allow you to scale by boil size? I'm still brewing in my kitchen with a 5 gallon kettle.

Getting set to purchase my ingredients for a club brew this weekend. I'm scaling back a tad on the MO as I tend to get efficiencies in the high 70s. I'm also planning on pitching two US-05 packets for my 6g batch - it'll be the first time I'm rehydrating this strain too.

Quick question re: the sugar. I'm considering subbing turbinado (sugar in the raw) for the corn sugar. At just over 5% of the overall grist, I'm not expecting any major flavor differences between corn sugar and turbinado. All the same, has anyone used turbinado in an IIPA (or an IPA) recipe before?

Brewing this will be timely as I plan on entering it into a few regional competitions in FL - one being an all-IPA event. :ban:

Quick question re: the sugar. I'm considering subbing turbinado (sugar in the raw) for the corn sugar. At just over 5% of the overall grist, I'm not expecting any major flavor differences between corn sugar and turbinado. All the same, has anyone used turbinado in an IIPA (or an IPA) recipe before?

Just added this to my backlog -- I'll brew it once the 20 gallons of IPA in the brew closet are gone :D

As for the turbinado, I've used it successfully in a few IPAs but not in that quantity. I usually add 1/2 - 3/4 cup (0.1-0.25 pounds)-- nothing close to 1# in the recipe. At the amounts I add, it adds a very slight touch of molasses -- I would expect a full pound to be way too predominant. Maybe someone else can chime in but I'd probably do 1/2# table sugar and 1/2# turbinado.

Just added this to my backlog -- I'll brew it once the 20 gallons of IPA in the brew closet are gone :D

As for the turbinado, I've used it successfully in a few IPAs but not in that quantity. I usually add 1/2 - 3/4 cup (0.1-0.25 pounds)-- nothing close to 1# in the recipe. At the amounts I add, it adds a very slight touch of molasses -- I would expect a full pound to be way too predominant. Maybe someone else can chime in but I'd probably do 1/2# table sugar and 1/2# turbinado.

Interesting - In some of my French Saisons, I've used up to 1 lb of turbinado (added @ 10 minutes), but I don't get an overwhelming sense of molasses - but that may be due to the type of yeast I'm using as it almost dominates the flavor profile. My initial thought with this monster of an IIPA grain/hop/dryhop bill, 1 lb of turbinado wouldn't amount to much flavor addition, if at all. I could be wrong though - I might go half/half and see how that affects the overall product.

Just out of curiosity, when you've added in the turbinado, has it been the "Sugar in the Raw" brand? If so, did the grain/hop bill resemble anything close to Biermuncher's TUIIPA?

Just out of curiosity, when you've added in the turbinado, has it been the "Sugar in the Raw" brand? If so, did the grain/hop bill resemble anything close to Biermuncher's TUIIPA?

The recipe I used was a regular IPA (Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe) @ 6.7% ABV and 85 IBU. I used 4oz of an imported natural brown sugar which is similar to Sugar in the Raw, but with a stronger molasses flavor.

After comparing the recipes and comparing the sugar I used vs. 'Sugar in the Raw' -- I think you could do a full pound of it and it'll be fine -- especially with higher ABV, more IBU's to compete with, and definitely if you like molasses flavor. I hate to retract my original opinion but I think 1# of Sugar in the Raw would work well in this recipe.

Thank you so much

Drinking this right now. Don't know what it is about this recipe but it was my 7th brew and first that did not have that homebrew twang! Great beer!

Brewed this on Sunday with a bunch of my club buddies for a summer party in July. Hit an OG of 1.083 after backing off 2 lbs of MO. Only changes were swapping out Mt. Hood for Citra and using Turbinado for my sugar addition. Woke up this morning to one hell of a blow-off.

Stoked!

Brewed this on Sunday with a bunch of my club buddies for a summer party in July. Hit an OG of 1.083 after backing off 2 lbs of MO. Only changes were swapping out Mt. Hood for Citra and using Turbinado for my sugar addition. Woke up this morning to one hell of a blow-off.

Stoked!

I don't see either Mt. Hood or Citra hops in this recipe.

Just took a sample the other day out of curiosity to see where my gravity was...

1.083 on April 22.
1.012 on April 30.

WOW! Then I tasted the undryhopped, yeasty sample. WOW again!

I'm making the 5gal version of this on Saturday at my LHBS event.

I don't have S05 slurry...would Wyeast 1056 suffice, or just use a couple packs of S-05?

Thanks!

How do I add more IBU'S & ABV to my batch? I bought a recipe, obviously a noob, and want to raise both of those from 55 IBU'S to around 100 and from 6.1 ABV to 7 or 8

shade0428 said:
How do I add more IBU'S & ABV to my batch? I bought a recipe, obviously a noob, and want to raise both of those from 55 IBU'S to around 100 and from 6.1 ABV to 7 or 8

Add more hops and grains. Get a beer program to help you adjust hop and grains.

Brewed the 5gal AG version of this today at my LHBS's Brew Day.

I undershot the gravity....hit 1.075...hopefully that doesn't hurt the beer too much....

hmmmm. I put this in the fermentor 2 weeks ago... took a gravity reading and it is 1.014.. way more dry than I thought. tasted good though...added dry hops.

So I had an extra gallon satellite I set up for an upcoming regional competition. I let about 1/10 oz the Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo dryhop for a week (those were all whole hops) after sitting in the primary satellite for 2 weeks. Bottled last week and totally indulged in a noob technique: tasting wayyy too early.

Funny thing was, I'd say it was about 75% carbed in 6 days, but tasted awesome! First thing that ran through my head was Southern Tier's Unearthly IIPA. Mine came out at just under 10% ABV, but I wouldn't have thought that based on the sample. Malty w/a residual sweetness and decent aroma. I can't wait for the primary to finish up it's thing so I can dump the rest of my hops in there.

So my beer has a fruity hop smell to it, my recipe said to transfer to a secondary at 1 week, my gravity reading was 1.02, I'm i being paranoid thinking I ruined my beer?

Back