first time wine brew help! airlock or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-manAB

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a first time wine brewer. I'm doing a cellar master kiwi mellon. I was wondering if I should use an airlock on my promary straight off? I've read that it needs fresh air during the first 7 days or so for the yeast to work properly. Any advise is welcome! Thanks in advance everyone!

Hi, I'm a first time wine brewer. I'm doing a cellar master kiwi mellon. I was wondering if I should use an airlock on my promary straight off? I've read that it needs fresh air during the first 7 days or so for the yeast to work properly. Any advise is welcome! Thanks in advance everyone!

Yes, most of those kits have you airlock the primary.

Yes, I would use an airlock to avoid any contamination. Most of the reason behind a more open fermentation is due to the fact that the must (wine's equiv. to wort for beer) needs to be aerated pretty heavily before pitching. I'm not familiar to the kit you are using but wine is typically less forgiving when it comes to oxygenation and nutrients.

Have fun and remember to let the wine age as long as you can possibly stand it. You would be amazed at how much it will change over the course of a year.

Back