Keezer Collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to go to HD and buy my GE 5 cu ft freezer. I want a collar on it so i can keep my CO2 tank on the outside. I live in an apartment and don;t have access to the proper tools required for a nice collar but i was thinking of buying a couple of 2x4's and using them. It would not be tall or look "sweet" but it would allow me to drill through it and not the freezer.

While writing this i had a thought, the hinge is probably bigger than 3.75 in or so an I wont be able to get away with a 2x4. I will get the appropriate size that will allow this to work for me.

The real question i have is "how well does 2 in of wood work as an insulator? Do i need/should use foam as well?"

I used 1x4s for my collar and then bought the cheap blue foam rolls at HD and lined the inside with that. Works great if the keezer is inside where the temps wont fluctuate that much. If its outside or in a garage I would make sure to insulate the collar really well.

Hope that helps

If you do use 1x4's i suggest putting the hinges on the freezer lid and not the collar as well. Mine was very heavy when I didn't do this and regretted it.

If you do use 1x4's i suggest putting the hinges on the freezer lid and not the collar as well. Mine was very heavy when I didn't do this and regretted it.

My plan is to remover the lid from the body while keeping the hinge attached to the lid, the collar will remain stationary on top of the body when the lid is opened. Is this what you meant?

This brings me to my next question, how do you recommend securing the collar to the body? my thoughts were to get two sided padded tape and on the back secure it to the original holes for the hinge. My ultimate goal is to do no damage to the freezer, as not to void the warranty, also in case i use it for something else, or sell it for an upgrade.

Any suggestions on the type of wood for 2x4s? it does not have to look amazing, I am more concerned with utility right now, as well as on a budget.

While writing this i had a thought, the hinge is probably bigger than 3.75 in or so an I wont be able to get away with a 2x4. I will get the appropriate size that will allow this to work for me.

The real question i have is "how well does 2 in of wood work as an insulator? Do i need/should use foam as well?"

I have no idea why it's done this way, but to the the best of my knowledge:
a 2x4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5
a 2x6 is actually 1.5 x 5.5
a 2x8 is actually 1.5 x 7.25
a 2x10 is actually 1.5 x 9.25
a 2x12 is actually 1.5 x 11.15

and so on and so forth....

Wood is a decent insulator, but for a few extra bucks, i'd put some foam on the back.

This brings me to my next question, how do you recommend securing the collar to the body? my thoughts were to get two sided padded tape and on the back secure it to the original holes for the hinge. My ultimate goal is to do no damage to the freezer, as not to void the warranty, also in case i use it for something else, or sell it for an upgrade.

Try this stuff, it comes highly recommended by several people on this site. You can find similar at home depot.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/M-D-Building-Products-71522-Rope-Caulk-30-Feet-Gray-3439247.html

and so on and so forth....

Wood is a decent insulator, but for a few extra bucks, i'd put some foam on the back.

It is done like that for the size of the original saw blades in the mill, and buys want to think they are getting more (That is what i was told as a kid) :)

I think i'm going to get some sheet insulation

No, it's a construction adhesive. I've seen carpenters try to rip up a plywood floor and they ended up ripping a couple of inches off of the joists. The liquid nails is very strong.

I think he was asking about the rope caulk. I've never used it, but if it functions like other caulking, then you should be able to cut it with a sharp knife, remove the collar, then scrape off the rest.

OK, I went with silicone and it is drying now. I hope this will hold if not plan B. (no idea what plan B is right now :cross:) I have some 3/4 in styrofoam sheets that I want to use for a little extra insulation. Does any one know how to attach the styrofoam to the wood?

Thats the size of the lumber before its "finished". A "rough" 2X4 starts out at 2" X 4" then is machined down and sanded "smooth" at the mill and you end up with a 1.5" X 3.5" board which is what you buy at your lumber yard.

The outside of my wood is always room temp.

best out of context ever

I have no problems with my temperature control or power usage, and I used 1X10 and a roll of this on the inside. an inch of foam is about r-4, this is also about r-4 but is only 1/4" thick and wont get all over the place. what you save in adhesive to glue on the foam will cover a roll of the foil.

716511516014lg.jpg

lowes link

Back