Frozen Rhizome.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanN

Reaction score
I've run across a few different threads where it's been suggested to keep your hop rhizome from freezing if it's planted in a container and not directly in the ground. The usual suggestions I've read are to either plant the hop rhizome in the ground or move the planter inside the garage or another cold (but not freezing) place for winter. What I don't understand is why is it a problem if it freezes in the first place? I live in Michigan and I guarantee the ground freezes to at least 6 inches during the winter, especially if we get cold temps but little snow. My options are, frozen planter in the garage or outside, or planting in poor draining soil.....I don't know what to do.

What I don't understand is why is it a problem if it freezes in the first place?

It isn't a problem. New rhizomes shouldn't be allowed to freeze, but once it's been through a season - no biggie. The entire Yakima Valley freezes every year.

Yeah I was told they need to have the freeze in order to produce, thats why you cant grow year round indoors... plus the space for vines!

Once the plant goes dormant freezing isn't a problem. If the plant is still awake freezing can damage the rhizomes.
"Yeah I was told they need to have the freeze in order to produce". It never freezes here and hops grow well.

Sorry for the Necro-post- but...

What about hop rhizomes that have been frozen in the freezer for nearly 6 years?

I recently moved to a new house and found some old rhizomes frozen in a vacuum sealed canister that I never planted; I missed a few and they just hid out in my freezer all this time.

I may just plant them to experiment and see if they take, but figured I'd see if anyone had info on if they are for sure dead, or would likely take?

Back