"Boondock" Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another update. I am just about to finish off this very tasty recipe. Since brewing this I have converted to AG, so I just got back from the LHBS and got the ingredients to make this again over the holidays. I am leaving the hops and special grains the same as the first time, the only difference is I will be using 11 lbs of 2 row. Again, a very tasty recipe and I for sure recommend it to anyone that likes a nice, roasty, stout.:mug:

I just brewed this 2 days ago and I can't wait to try it! The only thing different thing was 4.5 lbs of malt vs 4 lbs I didn't notice it until I poured it in and it said 4.5 insted of 4. O well hope it turns out good it smells great!

I just brewed this 2 days ago and I can't wait to try it! The only thing different thing was 4.5 lbs of malt vs 4 lbs I didn't notice it until I poured it in and it said 4.5 insted of 4. O well hope it turns out good it smells great!

To be honest, you really can't go too heavy on this recipe. It seems to only get better with more thrown in, in my opinion.

Of course, I practically love to chew my stouts so... maybe I'm not the best one to offer up opinions on this :eek:

I am getting anxious to try this! Still in my secondary an I should be bottling next week. I am taking all of it with me to the desert race king of the hammers. I can't wait to try it!

Just wanted to throw a little commentary in since I tried my first bottle of this last night. It's the first batch I bottled, and the last extract brew I did. I changed the recipe ever so slightly based on commentary in the thread and the hops I had around. Brewed on 3/1, bottled 3/27, tried my first bottle last night.. And I swear, this is good enough beer to pay for! Wow! Nice and roasty, great body, not too terribly heavy so that you wouldn't want another, though. Decent head considering it's not really conditioned fully yet. Great, great beer. I think I'll chill another and crack it tonight, then stash the rest of the bottles so I don't drink 'em all before they're finished!! :)

Thanks again for the recipe!

I brewed this recipe last month and I thought it came out great.

The only change I made was that I used White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale yeast instead of Muntons.

The beer came out with a very pleasant roast coffee flavor. It was pretty dry which I liked.

My only critique would be that although it has great roasted backbone, it needs a little more something to fill out the body. It also doesn't have quite the same silky mouthfeel that you expect from a stout. Head retention was a bit weak.

Overall a GREAT beer though, and I really enjoy drinking this one.

Just wanted to throw a little commentary in since I tried my first bottle of this last night. It's the first batch I bottled, and the last extract brew I did. I changed the recipe ever so slightly based on commentary in the thread and the hops I had around. Brewed on 3/1, bottled 3/27, tried my first bottle last night.. And I swear, this is good enough beer to pay for! Wow! Nice and roasty, great body, not too terribly heavy so that you wouldn't want another, though. Decent head considering it's not really conditioned fully yet. Great, great beer. I think I'll chill another and crack it tonight, then stash the rest of the bottles so I don't drink 'em all before they're finished!! :)

Thanks again for the recipe!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I just made another batch of it for a Homebrew competition up here in VT on May 1st. I'll let you all know how it does.

Keep the innovation of the beer coming! I love to hear that everyone's got their own awesome twist on it! :D Maybe one day it'll become legendary.

"4 Lbs (Medium) Pale Extract"

is there a MEDIUM?? I cant seem to find it...Im a noob of course....

What about using a Dark Malt Extract instead?

i am brewing this up right now....some minor adjustments.....just got done steeping fgrains...and man oh man does that smell and look delicious!

"4 Lbs (Medium) Pale Extract"

is there a MEDIUM?? I cant seem to find it...Im a noob of course....

What about using a Dark Malt Extract instead?

I'm not the expert here, but I think Dark Malt Extract probably contains some crystal and some black malts already in it. So you may want to subtract some or all out of the original recipe if you are going to use it.

I'd probably take out all the crystal and maybe a bit of the black roasted barley (still leave about 1.5lbs) but honestly, that's just a SWAG. If you get the exact makeup of the dark malt extract, you can probably be a bit more exact.

Brewed up a batch of this yesterday. Had to make a couple substitutions, and I went with the British Ale II yeast. I can't wait to get this one in the keg! I'll let you know how it turns out. =)

just brewed this again, using White Labs Irish Ale yeast. Craziest blowoff I've ever had, for sure. smells delicious though.

Brewed this last week as my introductory 1st batch in homebrewing, with the exception of a Mr Beer kit my wife got me last year xmas time. Hit an OG of 1.060 and checked on it last night after 6 days with an gravity of 1.016. During my first brew I hit a few bumps, I never got my wort to a good steady boil, it was steaming real good but didn't get boiling til about the end. My LHBS didn't have any Target hops so I subbed in with Chinook (HP25) pellets, when I put those in my wort boiled over pretty good so there is one lesson learned.

Then for chilling my wort, I got it down to around 75 before I poured it into the primary, took about half hour to 45 minutes, honestly couldn't tell you how long but it felt around that. Used a semi ice bath in the sink and kept swirling it around and running cold water around it. When I finally got it in the primary, yeast pitched and airlock in, I stored it in the basement which sits around 65-68. This is about 7pm Sunday night, checked it in the morning, didn't see any action. Came back after work, it was going pretty good and starting to pop off the airlock cap. I started freaking out, came on here, read about the blowoff and then figured out what the big tube I got in my kit was for. (LOL) Yeah so I quick sanitized the end that was going into the primary and everything was good.

So far looks good though, I'm one of those people though that can read all I want but won't get the process down until I do it so. Learned alot in this first brew and now can't wait for the next one. Just for kicks when I crack one of these open, I'll have to watch the movie. I'll have to try the modified recipe with the chocolate minus the flaked barley.

I've been brewing on and off for about 3 years now and after looking for a good Stout to brew I decided on this one. I followed the Original recipe, accept when i put her in the secondary I added 2 quarts water with 1/2lb Extra Dark French Roast Coffee steeped for 15 minutes along with 1/2 cup of Dagoba Cacao powder.

This was my first brew to keg and use my beer fridge... for the original reason i bought it. This is without a doubt a repeat! My Girlfriend, Whom only likes lambic, has been drinking this with me.

Dark, Hearty, Sweet Chocolaty slap in the face followed by a subtle strike of coffee to finish it off. Stout at its best. Black with a slight reddish tint. The more I type to closer to the tap Im getting.

If you're looking for a good stout to enjoy this holiday go with this 'Boondock' Stout.

Cheers

will the strong coffee taste mellow with age in my coopers irish stout (man it taste like black coffee when i was bottling)

I brewed this with the following recipe that I modified slightly here and there from this post.

10lbs Marris Otter
1.5lbs Roasted Barley
1lbs Cara-pils
.5lbs Crystal 80
.5lbs Chocolate malt
.5lbs Maltodextrin (added to boil)

1oz Fuggles @ 4.8% AA - 60 minutes
1oz Kent Goldings @ 4.2% AA (?) - 30 minutes.

Water treated 12 hours prior with Campden tablets.

Batch size = 5 gal
Dough in with 1.75qt/lb = 23.625qt
Batch sparge = 20 qt
Collect 7.5 gal

60 minute boil (I have a widemouth 15 gal pot, boil off is quite excessive)
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.018 estimated

IBU = 19 - 25

I am new and I do not quite understand the SRM and 80L after the grains.
What am I looking for with that

I always wanted to make my own stout so you guys had me with this one! I will do a few minor mods and got about half of the ingredients today.

I will use:

.5 lb Crystal 120 Malt
.5 lb Muntons Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Muntons Black Roasted Malt

7 lb light LME
8 oz Maltodextrin

WLP 004 Irish Ale Yeast

1 oz Fuggles at 60 min
1 oz Kent Goldings at 20 min

I brewed my version of this earlier today and I will let it sit in the primary for at least 3 weeks and bottle it afterwards. My OG was 1.055, which I'm happy with. One of my neighbors came over and was asking what I was cooking because he said it smelled so good! :rockin:

beerloaf

Awesome stuff going on in this thread...

I'm using the original recipe as a base for my Oak Whiskey Stout. Such great feedback and experimentation going on here it's really awesome.

I'll probably scale back the Roasted Barley from 2lbs to 1.5, to help tone down the coffee-like aroma and flavor a bit, and make up for it with either wheat or increase the crystal 80L (for head retention).

Use 4.5 lbs Pale Extract instead of 4, and I'll add 1.5 cups of brown sugar. Both to increase ABV.

About 2 weeks in I'll soak Oak Chips in Whiskey in an air tight mason jar. Let that sit in the pantry for 2 weeks. Then 2-3 additional weeks later I'll pour the whiskey and oak chips into the secondary, rack the beer on top. Let it sit for 7 more days, remove oak chips, and bottle 7 days later. Not sure about measurements for the chips and whiskey yet, but I'm 100% sure it'll be Jameson Irish Whiskey.

My mission here is to make a GROWN MAN BEER. Imagine something Paul Bunyan would drink. I'm drinking a few light bodied and crisp beers right now, this should round out what I have on hand pretty good.

Thanks for this thread, took me awhile to find a good stout recipe.

Oh man, my LHBS didn't have the correct yeast, they recommended Irish Ale yeast, and man that stuff has a bad Sulfur smell during fermentation. My whole house smells like @$$. I looked it up and it only last a few days.

The color right now is a nice black color. Can't wait to taste it.

Latest posts

Back