A timing question simple (I think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
Ok I had a session last Sat. i have to be out of town for a few days starting Wednesday. I will not be back in town till late Saturday night.
This coming tuesday night, when I can rack to secondary the primary will be at only 10 days fermenting. The fermenting is going well at 65 66 degrees and a burp every 22 seconds. So do I tranfer to secondary or wait till sunday at 15 days to do it?
Tuesday night is the cut off or leter rip till sunday I'm leaning towars sunday because I will be assured of a more full fermentation and the brew should not go bad just great clarification????

Depends on the brew. If it's not a high-gravity brew, go ahead and transfer. If it's a big beer, or something you need to lager (doesn't sound like it based on the 60's degree ferm temps), you might wait. There's no harm in doing either, though.

What yeast are you using?. Your temps are at the lower end of most ale yeasts. If you can get it up closer to 69*F and hold it there until Tuesday, it'll pretty much be fermented out and will make it a no-brainer to transfer to secondary.

There is no hard set rule that says you can't leave it in the primary until you have time to do it right.

When it's done fermenting, transfer it to the secondary - not at X number of days.

Ok so i take a reading tomorrow night and have a specific gravity If the beer is a normal percent alchol i go ahead and rack, right? the beer is a pale ale with white labs 002 yeast an the room temp is 66 most of the time some time 67 rarely 65. So I just syphone some beer into a jar and take a reading with the hyrdrometer.
I'm pretty new at this what would be a good specific gravity to look for?
My begining gravity was .080 a big beer? meaning lots of additions? Just the Light malt extract, Muntons Magnum, Willhamet and Cascade with Irish Moss just befor the Cascade. So is this a big beer? Tastes good, it's a pale ale and is not a lager. I think I might just leave it till Sunday. For sure it will be done by then. I have patients just unsure how to approach the fact that i'm leaving one of my beer kids for the weekend. I know, relax have a beer Blah blah. Your right just relax it will turn out awesome. Just keep reminding yourself the dingle berries from 500 years ago made good stuff i think and they didn't have half the stuff we have to make great beer.

Back