Airlock bubble rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinostylee

Reaction score
Brewed my irish dry stout last night, woke up this morning pleased to see that it was actively fermenting . . . the airlock was bubbling. But now at the end of the first day in the primary . . . no bubbles? The temperature hasn't really varied, it's about 72 degrees.

Should I be concerned? Any suggestions?

Thanks

That seems a bit too quick in my experience. Is the Primary in a Bucket type or Carboy? Those bucket types can loose their seal pretty easy.

I never liked my bucket fermenter very much, just for that reason. I never could actually tell if it was really sealed. On the other hand they can be a bit easier to handle because the mouth is just a wee bit bigger than the carboy, not to mention they have that handle.

I usually put all my weight on the lid until I felt it click in place.

Good luck.

Good call . . . I pressed as hard as I could on all of the edges and now it's bubbling again. Thanks for the advice, I had no idea the seal was so fragile. You save me some anxiety for sure!

What do you use as your primary now? A glass carboy?

Yes, I have a 6.5 gal for my primary, and a 5 gal for my secondary. I made my first few batches using plastic, but now I prefer glass. It is easy to see the activity level, trub, etc. They also clean well, and are nice to look at.

Back