So, whats wrong with this fermentation chamber idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I have an idea for a fermentation chamber, but its seems too simple, so I'm wondering if a more experienced person can spot where i would come into difficulties.

I plan to make a fermentation chamber, that will fit two 5 Gal fermentors. I have an outside shed with a undercounter freezer for just odds and ends, and next to it is a empty chest of draws. I inteend to take the draws out, and replace it with a chamber I've made myself out of celetex, which are 45mm insulation boards (sorry for the English metric there :p) But that should keep it very insulated. I did plan to use the ice jug idea with some fans and what not. Oh ill mention I plan to use the aquarium controller, with the heat side hooked up to a reptile heater, and the cold side hooked up to a couple of fans.

My plan is, to make a hole in the side of the freezer, and connect the gap to the side of the ferm chamber, with a air hose or whatever I need depending on te distance of the gaps, and then use two fans, one at the ferm chamber end, and the other at the freezer end, both pulling the cold air from teh freezer into the ferm chamber when it needs cooling.

Now, I think this is an easy idea BUT, am I likely to find coils in the side of this freezer? Also, how much cold air will naturally flow through the duct when the fans are off, when cooling is not needed. I hope to still be able to use the freezer for the odds and ends that wont fit indoors, as its used now.

One last thing, where should teh duct be situated, shold the cold air be blown in the bottom, or top of the firm chamber?

There are a lot of similar builds on here, so it certainly can work. Ideally, your hose would pull from the bottom of the freezer. You do need to figure out where your coils are, though. Puncturing those is a quick way to turn your freezer into a regular box.

Yea I'm sure ive seen this done before, how would I go about finding the coils, Ive heard a cornstarch and rubbing alcahol solution can help?

If you take your hose through the lid of the cooler you won't need to worry about the cooling lines. You may find you'll need a return line as well so the air can circulate.

This is where the problems start. It has another item (a dryer) on top of it, as space is tight, and coming out of the front where it opens would be a problem.

As for an intake line, if I was to circulate air, am I right in assuming the freezer and ferm chamber would need to be the same temp? Which is what I'm trying to avoid.

If you can locate the cooling lines you're golden. If not, you'll have to deal with the door. Maybe you could fabricate a horizontal collar similar to what is used on keezers?

As for the air circulation, you need it to make the system work. If the fan was running constantly, yes, the two chambers would approach the same temp. Since you are using a t-stat to control the fan, you will have the ability to regulate the fermenter's temp.

Just thinking out loud, 1" (25mm) flex hose would probably do the trick. Insulation on the hose would increase your efficiency.

Yea I'm sure ive seen this done before, how would I go about finding the coils, Ive heard a cornstarch and rubbing alcahol solution can help?

I'm not sure I'd trust this. If the corn starch and rubbing alcohol thing is just a way to find cold spots like I imagine, it won't help you find the (warm) condenser coils on the outside of the outside of the insulation. You might have to break out the screwdriver on this one or go through the lid somehow.

This is where the problems start. It has another item (a dryer) on top of it, as space is tight, and coming out of the front where it opens would be a problem.

As for an intake line, if I was to circulate air, am I right in assuming the freezer and ferm chamber would need to be the same temp? Which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Like Arturo mentioned, that's why you have the fan controlled by the regulator. You can keep your temp as high as room temperature if you want. The upper chamber's lower temperature limit depends on insulation efficiency, but it will certainly be below fermentation temps.

Ahh I see. So i need an intake+outake.
I didnt realise the vents could be as small as 1"! Im assuming again, if the cold air is brought in to the bottom, id want the outake at the top?
And I see, looks like im going to have problems with the coils in the side.
Looks like I may have to try and find a way to get through the door. The top is out of the question as its completely unaccsesiable.

Caz, check out some of the keezer build threads. Imagine one of those things standing on end. Instead of taps going through the wooden collar you would have ports for your hoses. This would allow normal door function.

Ok, so ive been thinking.

Currently, I have a freezer, with a dryer on top, so I cant access the top of it.
If i move the dryer next to the freezer, where I planned to have the ferm chamber, I could then have my ferm chamber on top of these, and run directly through the top of my freezer. With a spacer to leave room for the intake outake fans, and Im right in thinking there is nothing wrong with going through the top of the freezer? As in no coils?

Ill try take a couple of pics to make things clearer at some point.

Ok, a little more investigation, and the top of the freezer looks to be full of stuff. The freezer has a quick freeze thing at the top, basically a little box for putting is and things in to freeze, and atm is completely frozen up, so im guessing i cant go through the top!
This is becoming a much more complicated idea than I thought!

Ok, the freezer has been removed alltogether, so looks like its back to a compartment ion the ferm chamber with some frozen bottles in to pump air through.
Nevermind!

Back