Brewing 1st Batch Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am brewing a Cooper's Real Ale extract kit (using Light and Amber DME for fermentables) tomorrow, and have a couple questions.

First, I am think about just covering my primary (6.5 gallon ale pail) with a clean towel versus the lid. I have done this with wine and got fine results, but I'm brand new to beer so I wanted to make sure. Will the krausen coming into contact with the towel be an issue? Alternatively, I could just do a blow off tube.

Second, does anyone think doing a 6 gallon kit in a 6.5 gallon primary would be an issue? I have read Cooper's yeast tends to be violent, so I was thinking about dropping the volume down to 5 gallons.

Thanks, and I appreciate any help!

Interesting!

I would think even a laundered towel will have some bacteria that's harbored in the cotton fibers. Something a sanitized plastic lid ( w/ no scratches) simply wouldn't have.

But- hey the contact would be minimal - and since you've done this with wine already - it still might work for beer.

I'm new to all this beer fermentation / home brew hoo-haa myself - and I'm interested in minimizing the risk of contamination as much as possible.

Your mileage may vary!

I ended up going the 5 gallon, loose lid route. Beginning temps were a little cool, but it's starting to get going now I believe. I will be taking a reading tomorrow to make sure. Thanks again!

Brewing steady, but the krausen is crazy! Is it ok to punch down every so often? Never brewing beer before, I'm not sure if this will settle or if I will have to stir occasionally.

I've never bothered it once it gets going. The krausen will drop back in on its own. Just enjoy the show!

I just bottled this last night. Wort tastes pretty good (for being wort), and as such I think I might give this a try earlier than I anticipated, maybe a month.

Chill and pop one after a week and half. Should be decently carbonated by then. No need to wait an entire month for a sample!

Back