My First IPA Recipe (NEED YOUR HELP)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first time posting on here so bare with me if I'm out of place. But I just wanted some input on the hop schedule of my first IPA. I plan on making a tropical, citrusy, smooth bitter IPA.

I am using a yeast starter with white labs San Diego super yeast, and golden light dry Malt extract. I am still trying to figure out the wort.

Hops: Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe (for bittering)

Please give me your input on boil schedule. I plan on dry hoping as well. Any input helps!!

Thanks!

30 IBUs Simcoe @ 60
1.5 oz. mixed Galaxy & Simcoe @ 10
2.5 oz. mixed Galaxy & Citra @ 0
3.5 oz. mixed Amarillo & Citra @ 7 day dryhop

I like the simple extract malt bill. Shoot for 1.067 to 1.070 OG. Use some sugar as well to help dry it out down to more of an AIPA FG. 8-10% total sugar should work. Crystal malt is optional, but 3-5% of C10, C20, or C40 won't hurt either. Definitely make a starter with the WLP090.

I'm a big fan of Simcoe but it's a bit of a waste as a 60 minute bittering hop. Do you have any cheap high AA% hops for bittering? I like Magnum, Super Galena and Columbus for IPA bittering hops.

If he can get Simcoe at the same price as Columbus then why not bitter with it? The only reason I wouldn't bitter with it is if it was $3 or $4 an oz.

If he can get Simcoe at the same price as Columbus then why not bitter with it? The only reason I wouldn't bitter with it is if it was $3 or $4 an oz.

I agree with that. I usually pay about twice as much for Simcoe as for Magnum.

Whew!! Pricy pricy.

Yeah, I also like the character offered by characterful bittering hops. Magnum is just too clean for me. Columbus or Apollo are my go-to's.

Whew!! Pricy pricy.

Yeah, I also like the character offered by characterful bittering hops. Magnum is just too clean for me. Columbus is my go-to.

On certain styles yes I can tell the difference in the bittering hops (ie: Amber Ales, Blonde ales) but in an IPA the flavor/aroma hops are going to overpower the bittering hop so my stance is use a clean, cheap bittering hop. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I prefer using the expensive hops late boil, hop stand and dry hop. :mug:

Citra as you Flavor and Aroma hop will give you those Tropical flavors you want.... just like BobBrews suggested... Not a fan of Amarillo and might try Palasades because it has a HUGE perfumy nose and that might complement the Citra...

On certain styles yes I can tell the difference in the bittering hops (ie: Amber Ales, Blonde ales) but in an IPA the flavor/aroma hops are going to overpower the bittering hop so my stance is use a clean, cheap bittering hop. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I prefer using the expensive hops late boil, hop stand and dry hop. :mug:

Really?? I think just the opposite. Pliny uses Columbus early on and you can certainly sense that in addition to the late hops. You want that characterful layered hop character and hop focus in an IPA. In ambers and blondes, you want something more clean to accentuate the malt so Magnum would be more in order there.

Really?? I think just the opposite. Pliny uses Columbus early on and you can certainly sense that in addition to the late hops. You want that characterful layered hop character and hop focus in an IPA. In ambers and blondes, you want something more clean to accentuate the malt so Magnum would be more in order there.

Different tastes for different faces? I like the Chinook Amber I do but then again I'm a hop lover.

The only way to really know would be to brew the same recipe with two different bittering hops and then do a blind taste test. :drunk:

The only way to really know would be to brew the same recipe with two different bittering hops and then do a blind taste test. :drunk:

I used to do this all the time, being that I'd make a 6 gallon batch in two kettles and my only change was the hops used, but keep addition times and amounts the same. Later, they would ferment and dryhop in two seperate carboys. If using a characterful bittering hop, you can still sense the bittering character despite hopbursting.

Thanks for all the input! The hop schedule looks good, I'll most likely give simcoe a shot this time around. But last thing, what malt extract do you think would be a good balance for the wort?

Balance?

Go with Extra Light or Light Extract along with some sugar for an IPA. Any balance of sweetness/bitterness will be gauged by the OG and the amount of IBUs.

Back