super malty partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlestos

Reaction score
I've read a previous post or two about somepeople trying this with all grain and the grain bill is far beyond my equipment capabilities at this point. So, since I don't have access to my computer to plug a recipe into beersmith for another couple hours and work is really boring, is such a thing possible?
I don't have any recipe ideas set in stone as of yet, but more interested in the concept and whether it's feasible or if this should just get put in the future brews folder until I get my AGS system set up. Would a nut brown be a style that could handle a malt bombardment?

Thanks in advance
J

EDIT: been looking into it more, seems like a barleywine or old ale is the way to go. Any ideas on the length of time an old ale needs in the secondary? I know barleywine's are 6+ months at least.

I would think you would be able to get a somewhat malty partial mash. The reason I say this is because you are going to be limited by how the manufacturer of the extract made the extract. You will get a maltier brew using ag as compared to partial, all things being equal, because you are in control of the mash temp.

That being said, whatever recipe you select, mash it on the high end of the temperature spectrum, say 155, give or take.

Thanks for the info. Might just be best to wait on this one until I have all grain capabilities. Although I do hate waiting...

Back