Help selecting hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoopidwon

Reaction score
I'm trying my hand a brewing a very light in color ale. Probably a pale ale, or a blonde. Have found a Yakima blond recipe that looks great, I'm a nOOb and unfortunatly hav'nt tried differant hops. Would i be wise to just follow the recipe or could I replace the Yakima hops with something else. I'm sure I should be answering some questions in advance but again hops are foreign to me right now....please advice would be appreciated...

On the wiki, it says a good substitute is chinook. When you are changing to different hops it will give you different aromas, and taste. So, if you want to change the hops, may have a different tasting beer than the recipe you are following.

Stoopidwon: you are probably talking about my Yakima Blonde. You can change the hops, but be sure you keep the same ibus if you want to replicate it the way i made it. Otherwise you could adjust it to your preferences (i.e. more hoppy, more malty)

Julohan: That is VERY strange that Chinook would replace Yakima Goldings. As far as i know Chinook is very intense bitterness with piney/citrusy notes. Yakima goldings are English golding hops, cultivated in Washington.

As far as a substitute Stoopidwon, I would say East Kent Goldings, Fuggles, Willamette. You could also use noble hops such as Hallertau, Tettnang, Saaz, Spalt

Dave i was hoping you would chime in on this because it is your recipe. I'm picking up the stuff and gonna brew next weekend. Im excited for this one....have you tried a late malt addition on this one to give it a really light appearance (a few friends are scared of the "dark" beer) so i am brewing my first yellow beer

Are there any sites that give a quick summary of the characteristics of different hops? I'm in class so I can't really search thoroughly but would appreciate the help.

Dave i was hoping you would chime in on this because it is your recipe. I'm picking up the stuff and gonna brew next weekend. Im excited for this one....have you tried a late malt addition on this one to give it a really light appearance (a few friends are scared of the "dark" beer) so i am brewing my first yellow beer

This was actually my first extract beer that i use a late malt addition. I belive i added about 30% of the malt at 60 min. and 70% at 15min. something like that. LMA will definately lighten the color. I'm actually brewing 15 gallons of this as AG in the next month. I was really tempted to bump up the grain bill and make it an IPA but the funds arent all there. This beer costs less than $20 to brew AG. I'll report back.

Are there any sites that give a quick summary of the characteristics of different hops? I'm in class so I can't really search thoroughly but would appreciate the help.

Here is BYO They had an issue that had a chart with virtually every hop. I forget which one though. I know it had a HUGE pic of a hop on the cover.

Back