Finally took the plunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
So I finally stepped up to the big boys table, and ordered a keg system today. I have a lagar in the fridge that has been on secondary for quite awhile and I have been debating whether I needed to add more yeast before bottling. Well, I solved that issue another way.

I have been (patiently) waiting for the LHBS to get me a kit, but he always seems to be out. I want to support him as much as I can, but dang! So anyways, I ordered a single kegging kit from midwest supply, and for the same amount of money I ordered the keg setup with a new 5 pound CO2 bottle, a partial mash nut brown kit, and shipping.

Can't wait for my new toys to arrive :ban:

I will pick up a couple more 5 gallon kegs from the local guy so I can keg my next couple of batches as well. :mug:

Thanks, I have a buddy in Vegas that has some extra parts and peices that I'm gonna borrow some taps and a few extra kegs from for the time being.

The good news is.... ITS HERE! I just checked fedex, and my goodies arrived in town this morning. I am on my way to pick up now, cant wait :ban:

I'll be taking the CO2 bottle straight to the welding supply store to be filled, and will keg my first batch this afternoon :mug:

It is an Oktoberfest style lagar, started with on OG of 1.080 back in september and has been lagaring for a good while. Should be a high alcohol beer.

I plan on putting 11-12 pounds on this and letting it ride until New Years in the lagar fridge but will bring the temp back up to about 45 degrees. Do you think this will work?

Sounds good to me; You might want to check the charts, I'm thinking 10-12 for a lager. It's always great opening new toys! Get some teflon tape while you're out (if you don't have any), really helpful for getting tight air seals on all your threaded gas lines. Post pictures when you have it setup! Welcome to your new addiction ;-)

I wouldn't recommend just putting it on gas an waiting till New years, let it sit two weeks, then draw a sample to test your line length/Pressure/temp combos. All three of those effect pour. Take a look at the charts. IT seems 10ft lines are a general consensus around here.

Thanks for the input, I will be sure to try a sample (or two :tank:) in a couple of weeks.

Now for the bad news, my "reconditioned" keg was shipped with bad O-rings on the in and out poppets. I called Midwest, and the guy was really helpful and is shipping me 4 new rings for free. But, Now I have to wait :(

I still have plenty of time for this, but really wanted to get it done before I left for the holiday.

Can I pick these rings up locally (hardware store, auto parts, etc), or are they specifically for these kegs? If not, does anyone have a spec on them?

If I can get them here, I will keg on Monday while I am brewing the Nut Brown kit I ordered with the keg setup.

Thanks for all the help!

I can totally see this ramping up this little hobby to a full blown passion, if it han't been for the bad rings, I would have had this thing in the keg in under an hour. I had taken it apart cleaned it with oxyclean and was ready to sanitize when I realized the rings were bad.... SOOOO much easier than bottles.

I have a friend who gets these Cornys from the pepsi distributor to use as a pressurized water bottle, he can get me a bunch on the cheap so I already have an order in for 4 more! With the one I have already spoken for, the nut brown on the way, and 15 pounds of honey that landed on my doorstep I'm gonna need some more containers :)

Pepsi distributor connection!?!? How many, and for how much can you get? ;) Doubt anywhere has them locally, unless you have a LHBS near you. Sorry! They are cheap enough (under $3 easily for all I would say, plus S/H), might be able to get them next day air online for cheap if you're really in a hurry...

Under $3??? I thought I was doing good at $20 a piece :(

Anyway, I sent Midewest an email, and they are sending me several of the O-rings, hopefully I will recieve them early next week.

Again, Can anyone tell me if these are anything special or can I get them from another source?

thanks

I'll be back home tomorrow, hoping my O-rings will arrive. If not I'm gonna head to Home Depot and see if I can find a suitable replacement.

Well, here it is almost a full week later, and I am finally able to Keg (I hope).

The O-rings showed up today so I'll be kegging this bad boy later tonight, as well as brewing that batch of brown ale.

Jealous- Was hoping to brew over Turkey day break from work, but had delay in shipping and won't get my ingredients until tomorrow. Hope it turns out well!

2-3 days later, after the beer is carbonated- WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION! :mug:

Back