Traveling with Carbbed kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This Camping season, I plan on traveling with Carbbed kegs of Home Brew. I am wondering though, will all that sloshing around for a Couple of Hours Over Carb the Beer? I will be storing the beer in the Vehicle, right side up. Think I'll have any issues?

No problems. The biggest problem will be any sediment that will get stirred up. Let the keg settle in place for a while before tapping.

+1 on edworts comments. I worked in the draft industry for years and we used to DROP kegs from delivery truck to the ground, then wheel inside and tap. Never had a problem. Temperature is your biggest concern, be sure the liquid in the keg is either cooled to serving temperature before using, or besure you have an adequate cold plate or jockey box to chill before the beer hit the open air. Temperature is what causes 90% of foaming on a balanced draft system.

McSwiggin' said:
+1 on edworts comments. I worked in the draft industry for years and we used to DROP kegs from delivery truck to the ground, then wheel inside and tap. Never had a problem. Temperature is your biggest concern, be sure the liquid in the keg is either cooled to serving temperature before using, or besure you have an adequate cold plate or jockey box to chill before the beer hit the open air. Temperature is what causes 90% of foaming on a balanced draft system.

Going to figure something out as far as a Big Enough Cooler with a Hole in it for the Gas Line. Going to keep the Keg on Ice for our Camping Weekends.:drunk:

RLinNH said:
Going to figure something out as far as a Big Enough Cooler with a Hole in it for the Gas Line. Going to keep the Keg on Ice for our Camping Weekends.:drunk:
A cornie, or most of it, will fit nicely in a primary bucket with enough room to put ice around it. Afterwards you can fill the rest with water to get the entire keg cold.

You really don't have to cover it either (a towel will be fine if you want) because the brew comes from the bottom where it's colder anyway.;)

A keg is not much different than bottles if it's sealed up and doesn't have gas hooked up to it. Slosh it around all you want, no gas can go in or out, so the carbonation level can't change permanently - as long as you give it a little while to settle before hooking it back up and tapping it, it shouldn't make any difference (except for any sediment that may take longer to settle out...)

Back