Fermentation times in different ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
I just brewed an Irish Stout on Sunday (two days ago pitched), and the airlock has not started to bubble yet. Having said this, I am in no way worried that it wont start, but I am curious as to if this is normal since this is my first stout/ dark ale. I have been lucky with first day fermentation with my pale ales and wheat ales, etc. But I just wanted to know if stouts are more typically stubborn to start. I am using nottingham which I know is pretty psycho-active and I actually added about a half a pound more corn sugar than the recipe asked for :drunk:

I think a lot of times its about the yeast and how strong it is when you pitch it. Its a good reason to start making starters if you already don't. The faster your yeast starts working the less chance some other nasties have to mess it all up. m2c

starters, good aeration, re-hydrating dry yeast, pitching at ideal temperatures....these all add up to how much lag time you'll have before fermentation starts.

And the airlock isn't a reliable measure of fermentation activity..

If I am not wrong, nottingham dry yeast is suppose to get a fast start. Mine started bubbling after 4-5 hours and stopped after just 2 days.

malkore said:
starters, good aeration, re-hydrating dry yeast, pitching at ideal temperatures....these all add up to how much lag time you'll have before fermentation starts.

And the airlock isn't a reliable measure of fermentation activity..

As far as aeration goes, whats the best way to do that when im using extract? should i pour the wort into the fermenter after boiling (and cooled) instead of siphoning?

EamusCatuli said:
As far as aeration goes, whats the best way to do that when im using extract? should i pour the wort into the fermenter after boiling (and cooled) instead of siphoning?
You can siphon it in the fermenter but leave the hose as high as you can above the bottom so it splashes in real good. Or you could make an "oxinator" By getting a 5 micron air stone from a fish store, some hose, and a cheap regulator for an oxygen bottle. Or you can shake the pisser out of the fermenter. Or make a friend shake the pisser out of the fermenter. Or just use your Jedi mind power to get the bubbles going. :ban:

67coupe390 said:
I think a lot of times its about the yeast and how strong it is when you pitch it. Its a good reason to start making starters if you already don't. The faster your yeast starts working the less chance some other nasties have to mess it all up. m2c

Actually since he's using dry yeast, he really shouldn't use a starter. Hydration is key to getting it started quick, but there's no reason to make a starter with dry.

Back