IPA Extract Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've finally figured out my ipa recipe, but just wanted your input on my malt extract. I am thinking of pairing up my 7lb of golden light dme with 0.8oz of Crystal 15 and 0.5lb of Carpils. I am not looking for a malty beer at all. I want something very hop forward but with balance also.

Estimated OG = 1.066
Here is my hop schedule Thanks in advance.

8.0 oz Caramel/ Crystal Malt -15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 1 6.3 %
7 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 2 87.5 %
8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3 6.3 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 41.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.75 oz Galaxy [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 11.1 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 11.1 IBUs
1.25 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Galaxy [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP090) Yeast 10 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 11 -
1.75 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

It depends on how your extract behaves, but mine always finished a little higher than I preferred, so in this case I'd probably opt for leaving the Crystal out. The carapils wouldn't hurt for head retention if you feel your beers need that, especially since the hops will knock down the head a little bit. But unless you're trying to use up the crystal that's sitting around, I don't think you necessarily need it.

Without doing the IBUs for the hop schedule I'd say it looks pretty good. Plenty of late hops and plenty of dry hops, I'd say you're well on your way to a damn tasty beer!

erikpete18 said:
It depends on how your extract behaves, but mine always finished a little higher than I preferred, so in this case I'd probably opt for leaving the Crystal out. The carapils wouldn't hurt for head retention if you feel your beers need that, especially since the hops will knock down the head a little bit. But unless you're trying to use up the crystal that's sitting around, I don't think you necessarily need it.

Without doing the IBUs for the hop schedule I'd say it looks pretty good. Plenty of late hops and plenty of dry hops, I'd say you're well on your way to a damn tasty beer!

How much of the carapils do you think I'll need? Half pound?

I think I've generally read somewhere between 1-5% for the carapils. If you subbed the carapils for the crystal, that looks like it would put it at about 6%, which is on the high side but if you don't want to save a few ounces, I don't think it would hurt. Also, just in case, make sure you check the ingredients that went into your golden light DME. Some brands include a certain percentage of carapils already in their extract formulations, in which case you wouldn't probably need to add more. You should be able to find the formulation either from the manufacturer website or from the homebrew place you bought it.

Back