your favorite porter recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love porters. Definately my favorite style of ale. However, I am cursed with the inability to brew a porter myself that I actually love. I've tried a number of times using kits ('ok' results), recipes taken from the web (mixed results from 'ok' to 'terrible') and my own recipe (the one in my sig that I do not intend to drink.. i'll dump it when I need the bottles back.)

Anyway, if you have an extract+grain recipe for a robust porter that you have tried and REALLY liked, I'd like to see it!

For reference, I love Sammy Smith's Taddy and Highlander's Oatmeal. Sierra Nevada's is 'ok'. I didn't care for Duck Rabbit's, but that might have been because of the pub I got it in.

So.. whatcha got?

-walker

Sam Smiths' Taddy is actually a Brown Porter, not a Robust. Not sure about Highlander's Oatmeal; never had it. I just did an AG Robust Porter, but it's too soon to tell.

Since you thought Sierra Nevada's was "ok", maybe a Brown recipe is what you're really looking for?:confused: I like both types, but just last night I was thinking about doing a Brown Porter, since there aren't too many out there. Most of the good commercial samples you can get here in the states are from the UK! And I like all of them! Take a look here.

I'll be interested to see what suggestions turn up here!:)

Rhoobarb said:
Sam Smiths' Taddy is actually a Brown Porter, not a Robust.

I was not aware of that. Thanks.

For some reason I had it in my head that the brown porters are less bitter and leaning toward the sweeter side, but SSTP is certainly a roastey, bitter brew... and I assumed this was a robust type.

-walker

Rhoobarb said:
Sam Smiths' Taddy is actually a Brown Porter, not a Robust. Take a look here.

Strange... if I read the descriptions ONLY (and ignore their listing of 'commercial examples') I would certainly have classified SSTP as a robust porter based on flavor and color.

-walker

If you haven't tried austinhomebrew's Roque Mocha Porter clone, you should. I don't think I'll ever try a porter from scratch again, that kit is just too good.

Did you try Baltic Porters? For me it was the first porter I tried and it like a first love. That's the one in my brew list next. I was surprised that it made with lager yast...

Wanted to bump this thread and see if there are any more standby porters that folks have been making. I've been looking at some taddy clones but there are quite a few. More than anything, I'm just looking for a good brown porter as well.

Anybody brew this one?

Back