SMaSH with Maris Otter...need a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNye

Reaction score
recipe help with a SMaSH???:cross:
Here's the deal I am wanting to see if Maris Otter is that much better...also wanting to make a smaller batch and just experiment. So I am thinking 2.5 gallons Maris Otter and Saaz. Split 1 gallon with Mulberries, 1 gallon with a chile pepper and a 1/2 gallon striaght up. The question is will Maris Otter make a good base for the berries/chilies?

It all depends on what you want.

I’m not a big fan of chile beers, but I recently did one based on an Imperial Stout, I liked the heat with a bit of sweetness. I went with dried low heat chiles to get more chile flavor without having it be too spicy.

I just discover I have a mulberry tree in my backyard, sadly it seems to produce the blandest tasting fruit I’ve ever tried. If yours are similar a Smash would probably be a good choice since it won’t have too much malt character to get in the way.

Good luck.

my concern is that the maris otter might be too malty for a fruit or chile beer? i have no clue, never used it.

my mulberries are quite sweet/tart, very nice. i just figured they are free, and something like 9% sugar, so why not use em? especially when you price berries at the supermarket. i collected 1 LB in about 10 minutes and i'll get some more every other day prolly.

recipe help with a SMaSH???:cross:
Here's the deal I am wanting to see if Maris Otter is that much better...

There's no way to see if you like Maris Otter as a base grain if you put chilies or mulberries in it. It also isn't a smash.

1/2 gallon will be reserved as a SMash wildwest. the other 2 gallons will be experimented with the fruit and chilies. just makes more sense to me to brew more then 1 gallon at a time. I'll ferment all 2.5 gallons of the SmaSH in my 3 gallon carboy and then secondary into 2-1 gallon jugs, bottle a six pack or so of the SMaSH:D

1/2 gallon will be reserved as a SMash wildwest. the other 2 gallons will be experimented with the fruit and chilies. just makes more sense to me to brew more then 1 gallon at a time. I'll ferment all 2.5 gallons of the SmaSH in my 3 gallon carboy and then secondary into 2-1 gallon jugs, bottle a six pack or so of the SMaSH:D

My bad, didn't see that part, carry on.:mug:

Back