Stovetop all grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to try an all grain batch using the stovetop method illustrated by Deathbrewer https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

My stainless steel stock pots are way too small for this. Before investing in new stock pots I have a possible alternative. I have two large Graniteware pots similar to this. Amazon.com: Graniteware 13 Inch x 11.5 Inch Corn Pot: Home & Garden. Graniteware is a a very thin metal pot with an enamel coating (a giant crab pot).

I know my Graniteware can hold 5 gallons of water plus headroom because I made a partial extract IPA in one. Shortly into the boil I realized the DME or extract was sticking to the bottom of the pot. I split the batch in half and boiled in two heavier stainless pots. I haven't tried to use the graniteware since.

I'm wondering if the problem was the thin metal or the DME/Extract sinking to the bottom and burning before going into solution. Would it be possible to use these pots for all grain?

Last edited by a moderator:
my problem with the graniteware pots isn't the thinness of the bottom but trather how wide they are in relation to the height and capacity. i have 5g pot that i have to straddle over 2 burners to bring to a boil, i have a 7.5g TF pot that one burner doesn't have a problem boiling 6.5-7g in,did it mon nite since it was colder than hell out here.

my problem with the graniteware pots isn't the thinness of the bottom but trather how wide they are in relation to the height and capacity. i have 5g pot that i have to straddle over 2 burners to bring to a boil,

I had that problem too. Does a taller narrower pot solve that problem? If so I may invest in a single pot. I have one high BTU burner and was surprised that I had to straddle to burners for the wort.

i have a 7.5g TF pot that one burner doesn't have a problem boiling 6.5-7g in,did it mon nite since it was colder than hell out here.

TF pot?

Back