Irish moss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthbrewer

Reaction score
I have not used irish moss yet, how much would you need to use for a five gallon batch, when do you put it in the wort, and does it really make a difference?

1 tsp per 5 gallon batch, put it in the boil with 15 minutes remaining, and yes, it does make a difference.

I agree with everything except if it makes a difference. Maybe for lighter beers or if you are anxious to drink your brew and want to open them as soon as possible or if you are using a low flocculating yeast.

I tend to do 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 4 weeks in the bottle. I also tend to use moderate to high flocculating yeasts. By that time I get around to opening a bottle, it is clear.

I've used it and forgotten to use it, and never noticed much difference (but never really tried to discern a difference either). Since it theoretically helps make your beer clearer, I keep using it.

I used to use it all the time.But I have since stopped(ran out),and haven't noticed a difference in the clarity of my beer.I don't use any fining agents and they all come out clear.It just takes time.That being said LOTS of people do use them.So if you choose to then follow the directions on the package;)

I always use it even knowing that usually my beer will clear with time. I look at it more like insurance, you don't need it until you really need it.
It's cheap and doesn't take extra time or effort to add it to the pot.

I have used it for the last 4 batches I have made and it seems to really clear the beer up, but then again I do not secondary and I usually break into my beer too early, I guess that is something I need to work on!

I will edit my previous post.

I just got back from the LBHS. I'm one of those guys who will always use hop flowers over pellets. I went in with my list of three hops and four alternates in case I couldn't find those in flowers. Turned out none of them were available in flowers. Turned out if I wanted anything other than Mt. Hood, they weren't available in flowers.

Did the hop crisis make it impossible to find flowers any more? I mean really.

So tonight, I'll add irish moss to this brew because of the pellets.

One of the pros can correct me if I get this wrong:

Irish Moss is positively charged (ion). This assists in taking some of the smaller proteins out of solution, not to help the yeast drop.

I guess it's addition would depend on the style of beer that you want to acheive.

I was goofing one night brewing(drunk?), and I added some to an ESB recipe. The result was a fine beer, but it was missing some mouthfeel, due to dragging some of the "goods" out of the brew. Definitely not the style I was going for.

I looked it up, you have it backwards. Its negatively charged and attaches onto the positively charged proteins, like those that cause chill haze.

But any thing that qualifies as a flocculant will cause smaller particles to bind together to create larger particles and cause them to settle out of solution.

The etymology and definition of flocculent has to do with the wool like appearance of the precipitate.

That and I tend to drink when I look up things like Irish Moss and flocculent. cross: So, either way, thanks for the correction.

I used Irish Moss (actually Whirfloc tabs) for the first time last brew, an Abby, which I just racked to secondary a few moments ago. The is my first beer that appears like it will come out visually stunning. :ban: It was so clear coming out of the primary. It caused so many solids to fall out I would say I lost about four inches to "mud" in the primary. I actually racked for a second or two into the cake because I was concerned there wouldn't be enough yeast to bottle. Granted this had been in primary for over three weeks, but I left my cream ale in longer and that was much worse. I am going to bottle at the end of the first week of September so it will be ready for that October chill.

BillTheSlink

I have made beers with and without it. I will say it helps on clearing the beer if that is important to you, it also helps with chill haze as it takes out a lot of proteins.

Some of my lighter beers I like to brew and give to friends and tell them the label floated away in bleached ice water (some of my friends believe anything), and if they can tell what type of beer it is.

With Irish Moss I actually get some surprising BMC answers. They are shocked when I tell them its homebrew.

I used one whirlock tablet in Biermunchers Octoberfast - pulled a one week gravity yesterday and the beer is brilliantly clear. This beer used the highly flocculent S04 which means the yeast cleans up fast.

I used one whilflock tablet in Biermunchers Tits Up IPA - pulled a one week gravity yesterday and the beer is very yeasty. This beer used the not so flocculent S05.

Past brews with Whirlflock have resulted in really clear beers. The point is, for me, whirlflock doesn't make non-flocculent yeast more so. It does help clear up trub and other debris that finds it way into your fermenter. I still have to cold crash - or wait a few days and pitch the first couple pints of beer with low-floc yeasts.

Latest posts

Back