Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slydawwg

Reaction score
Okay, bottled three batches close to the same time. IPA, & Munich turned out great, however Red Ale isn't carbonating ! Priming sugar is not the problem. Same bottles as the previous two. What could possibly be the cause,and how to fix it ? (all 3 weeks in the bottle)

Is the Irish Red carbing at all? How long has it been since bottling? When you pop a top, do you still get the "pssssst" just less than the others? At what temperature are your bottles kept?

Could be caused by:

Lower than 70*F temps...
Poor seal on the bottle caps...
Not enough time to carb...

Give us a little more info. :)

-Tripod

No carb...19 days since bottling...no carb ...no psssst...temp same as other two batches that turned out great...(65-70 F) All the bottles are the same & capped the same. Thats why it's it's a mystery . This batch is as flat as twiggy on a bad day. The only thing I can think of of is this batch was the bottom one on the floor which might have possibly kept the Temperature a little lower. Any solutions ?

No carb...19 days since bottling...no carb ...no psssst...temp same as other two batches that turned out great...(65-70 F) All the bottles are the same & capped the same. Thats why it's it's a mystery . This batch is as flat as twiggy on a bad day. The only thing I can think of of is this batch was the bottom one on the floor which might have possibly kept the Temperature a little lower. Any solutions ?

I'd try getting them up off the floor. If you're in the upper 60's air temp in the room, something in contact with the floor could easily be lower than that. You want them in the lower 70's for 3 weeks to really ensure good carbonation.

The stock answer is to roll them/ swirl gently, place back in the closet and check again in a week or 2.

Yeah, I really don't like not hearing the psssst I was hoping for.

I once used a digital thermoneter (one of the ones that has an outside probe) to see if there was a difference between the bottles at the top of my stack and the ones three cases below. I was pretty suprised to see 5-8*F difference between the top crates and the bottom ones!

Now I rotate the stacking order once every seven days so that no single crate is the bottom crate for the entire carbing process...

-Tripod

I waited almost 2 weeks for my first batch to get even any bubbles at all. Then the one I opened after the 4th week was perfect! So I guess it can take different amounts of time for each kind of beer, depending on the variables.

I followed info on here and kept them around 70F the whole time...have patience. But if you don't have any bubbles at all that would sound like a problem to me.

Latest posts

Back