Ale Pail temperature tolerance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I use 6.5 gal food grade buckets for primaries. I'm doing an experimental split batch so I can use the same mash to test the difference between cascade and amarillo hops.... anyway I'm mashing into a bucket and then splitting the wort between two boils. I only have the one pot, so at the end, I'd like to transfer it to the primary as soon as possible and let it chill in there so I can get the next set of wort boiling. I don't think putting boiling wort in the bucket is a great idea, but I was wondering if anybody had any idea what a good max temp would be to pour my hot wort in the bucket?

Then I can put it outside and let it cool, it's pretty chilly out there. :)

Thanks in advance.

I've cooled wort in my primary bucket, but not from a boil. If it is cool enough to touch with your hand and not be burned, it can probably go in the bucket. Not a definite number, I know, but I have done it with no problems before

Ive transferred some smaller (2-3 gallon) test batches directly from the kettle into a HDPE bucket to cool on the porch overnight without any problems. The bucket gets warm, but hasn't deformed or anything.

I usually use a bucket to empty the lauter tun into and I've never had any problems so I think at least 150 is OK. Still would be nice to know I could put it in at like 190 though. :)

I've read on here recently that this is not good. But I have been using for over 3 years the same primary bucket and have always just dumped it in straight from the boil. I've never had any issues. I cannot imaging what type of problem you could have from putting hot wort into a plastic bucket.

I've read on here recently that this is not good. But I have been using for over 3 years the same primary bucket and have always just dumped it in straight from the boil. I've never had any issues. I cannot imaging what type of problem you could have from putting hot wort into a plastic bucket.

My only concern would be melted plastic getting in the wort. If a couple drops of chlorine give you bandaid beer, not sure what melted plastic would do.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Unless anybody says anything I figure I'll cool it in the pot for a little while but once the cooling starts slowing, and the wort's around mash temperatures, I'll transfer. If you can put 175 F water in a picnic cooler you can do it to a food grade pail.

Back