Need a good first time partial mash recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Making the jump to partial mash... Looked through the recipe guide and found a few that looked tasty, but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas... Maybe a porter / stout...

Have a 5 gal Rubbermaid cooler converted for a mash tun at this point... Funds and time haven't let me get the next keg converted... :(

I've done Okterbfast, Irish Red Ale, Chocolate Stout, and a Dubbel as PM's let me know if you want a recipe I used for any.

I did this one last week as a partial mash: Nut Brown Ale

I mostly followed the PM recipe on the second page, my actual mash was:

2.0 lbs Maris Otter Malt
12 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Victory malt
6 oz Chocolate malt
1.0 lbs flaked oats

mashed at 152-153 for 55 minutes using 6 quarts of water, batch sparged at 170F in another 7 quarts (I can only boil about 3 gallons). I use a 2 gallon drink cooler and a grain bag so this about the largest mash I can do. This mash smelled yummy, even my kids liked the smell of it.

Hops schedule is in the link. I put in almost all of the 5.5lbs of LME at the end of the boil with about 10 minutes left because i think it helps with my hops utilization in a partial boil. Topped up to 5.5 gallons total and hit the OG spot on.

I brewed Lil Sparky's nut brown PM as well. My write-up is on the last page. So far it tastes very good.

Back