Pale barley brand and price

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Have just increased the ability to brew once a month and am thinking of buying pale grain in bulk. Can get 50 pounds of Muntons pale for $50, Weyermanns for $71 and Maris Otter for $77.

I realize everyone has their opinions, which is just what I am asking for.

What do you like / don't like about the above grains?

I use different base grains for different beers so I try to schedule my brewing to use the same base for three or so bathces in a row and maximize the reduced cost of buying by the sack. I also split two or three bags with other clubs members so we can all get 15-20 pounds of three different base malts at the bulk price.
As far as what you have listed I use MO as the base malt for my English style beers and I know a lot of people who use it for their standard base malt for almost everything. I've used Weyermanns pils but not their pale malt. Personally I think Muntons is a very good quality and for the price would use it as a standard base malt. You can always dress it up with specialty malts or smaller amounts of other base malts. The combination possibilities are endless.....

The Maris Otter for $77 is by Crisp, if that makes a difference. Will see what grain the $50 Muntons is. $77 may be expensive but I live in Maine and need to buy local as most on-line vendors charge $35 for the grain but charge $30 shipping. Right now leaning toward buying the Crisp MO for $77 from a new LHBS shop. If I have questions they have answers. The $50 Muntons comes from a local health food store and they know nothing about brewing. It is in my interest to help keep the new LHBS in business.

Having said all that, what domestic branded grains are of good quality. Never considered exactly what grain I was buying before but now brewing once a month and buying in bulk, exactly what the grain is for the money is a consideration.

I've had good results with all the maltsters I've used. Off the top of my head I know I've used Crisp, Breiss, Weyermann, and Rahr recently. Rahr 2RP at my LHBS is like $40 a bag with our club discount, the Crisp MO I think goes about $60.
Let's say you're making average beers (1.040 - 1.060) and you use about 15 - 20 LBS per 10 gallon batch. You'll get three batches from a bag of malt so your cost difference between the domestic 2RP and the English MO is about $8 per batch. Not a deal breaker but worth considering. You will get more authentic (to style) results for your English beers using MO, but it's up to you whether or not that's important. You may find you just like the flavor of one maltster over another. There will be differences, sometimes huge, in the flavor of the grains based on growing conditions, protein content, the terroir of the growing area etc etc.

My favorite is Cargill 2 row pale that I buy from a local brewery for $40 for a 50lb sack.

I have also had good results with Rahr and Canada Malting, both at around the same price.

If you have a micro brewery in town, get to know the owner! He may sell to you and you can't beat the shipping!

Back