Looking at copying NB Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateG

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the northern brewer oatmeal stout kit, I copied, mostly, the American Amber kit and it came out beautiful. I was also thinking about tossing in some coffee that a friend of mine roasts if I the carboy is free by then to secondary it. For those that don't know the recipe is as follows:

O.G: 1.042 READY: 6 WEEKS
Suggested fermentation schedule:
-- 1–2 weeks primary; 1–2 weeks secondary;
2 weeks bottle conditioning
MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 6.5 lbs English Maris Otter
-- 1 lb Flaked Oats
-- 0.5 lb English Roasted Barley
-- 0.5 lb English Chocolate Malt
-- 0.5 lb English Dark Crystal
MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 153° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes
BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
1 oz. Glacier (60 min)

YEAST
-- DRY YEAST (DEFAULT):-
Safale S-04 Ale Yeast. -
Optimum temp: 64–75° F

I did that and its more like a brow ale or porter than a stout, add a pound or two of s row and half pound of crystal 120 along with half pound of lactose and mash at 157 and it will make it better

Yes, I brewed the NB Oatmeal Stout last winter. A friend brewed the same kit but added a real strong cup of coffee in the secondary. Both turned out real good, but it did take about 4 months conditioning in the bottle before the flavors started coming through. I am not a big drinker of stouts, however mine turned out pretty good. Good to have around for the BMC folks that say they like dark beer.

Back