Fruit Beer Mango beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterschroder

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
American Ale Wyeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Tasting Notes
Surprisingly smooth
Okay, I am not a fan of Fruit beer at all, and the only reason I made this one was because my wife asked me (yep...) to make a batch for her cousin.
I used 2.5lbs of fresh mango in the secondary (the mango was cut and frozen about 2 weeks before using it in the secondary).
I used Citra hops, which gave a it a very nice taste to it.
Turned out to be a very crisp, light beer with a smooth mango taste, not overwhelming.
Pretty happy with the result!

Here we go:
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 4.0 gal
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.015
Bitterness (IBU): 26
Color (SRM): 2
ABV: 6.0%

[Grains]
Light DME 4.000lb Extract 50.0%
Two-row (US) 1.000lb Grain 12.5%
Corn Sugar 1.000lb Sugar 12.5%
Caramel Wheat Malt 1.000lb Grain 12.5%
Flaked Oats 0.500lb Adjunct 6.2%
Flaked Wheat 0.500lb Adjunct 6.2%

[Hops]
Citra 0.50oz 13.9% AA Pellet @ 45 min, 19 IBU
Citra 0.50oz 13.9% AA Pellet @ 10 min, 7 IBU

American Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

Add 2.5lbs mango after 5 days, let is sit for 5 days, filter it out and let it sit for another 10 days.

Cheers!

Any concerns with contamination from the mangos? Is that why you froze them before using? I was thinking about skinning the mangos and then washing them in vodka, any thoughts on that? Also I was looking at a peach recipe on the Briess web site that said to puree the fruit, so I was thinking about doing that and adding it to the secondary in a steeping bag so it was easier to take out.

annenbob - freezing is always a plus for fruit/berries. It bursts the cells and improves the flavor. Pureeing is also good.

PS My wife does not need to see this thread. She loves fruit beers and mango is one her favorite fruits.

Interested in trying this recipe. I just made a watermelon wheat ale and it turned out amazing!

When adding the mango, do you think I can use a juicer? When others added the mango did you purée it first and add it to the secondary or add the mango slices whole to the secondary?

Also, all the grains and other ingredients that you used would be used at once during the steeping process?

NativeSun said:
Interested in trying this recipe. I just made a watermelon wheat ale and it turned out amazing!

When adding the mango, do you think I can use a juicer? When others added the mango did you purée it first and add it to the secondary or add the mango slices whole to the secondary?

Also, all the grains and other ingredients that you used would be used at once during the steeping process?

Hello NativeSun,

Yes, I froze the mango first and then added it to the wort in secondary. Not sure whether purée it first will give much more flavor to it. The mango flavor I got was pretty smooth, not overwhelming at all.
You basically make a light ale with ingredients mentioned, especially having the citra hops gives a nice balance with the mango.

Can you post the watermelon recipe?

Cheers!

Can you post the watermelon recipe?

Cheers![/QUOTE]

All grain recipe:

4 lbs- 2 row malt pale ale
5lbs- light wheat malt
1 lb- carafoam 2-row
1 lb- light Munich 2-row

0.5 ounce of Mt. Hood hops

Yeast- WLP320 American hefewizen ale

6-8 cups of watermelon juice

4-5 ounce of watermelon extract

I steeped with 3 gallons of water and sparged with 4 after the steeping process.

OG-1.048
FG- 1.019

How much mango did you use in the secondary? Did you use a glass carboy? Did you add whole pieces of mango to the secondary and let the wort sit on top of it?

Hello NativeSun,

All 2.5 lb of the fresh Mango was used in secondary. I took the flesh of the mango of the pit and froze it for 2 weeks. When I was ready to put in secondary (a day before), I took the mango out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to let it thaw. Then I just threw everything in the secondary (glass carboy) and had it sit for 10 days. The mango basically floated on top of the wort.

Cheers

Do you have any idea what the grain bill would look like for an all grain batch?

Hello Eatwake:

Would come to approx. this:
[Grains]

Two-row (US) 8.000lb Grain
Corn Sugar 1.000lb Sugar
Caramel Wheat Malt 1.000lb Grain
Flaked Oats 0.500lb Adjunct
Flaked Wheat 0.500lb Adjunct

[Hops]
Citra 0.50oz 13.9% AA Pellet @ 45 min, 19 IBU
Citra 0.50oz 13.9% AA Pellet @ 10 min, 7 IBU

American Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

I'm new to brewing beer and this Mango is my 2nd attempt. Being new to the art of brewing and trying to make out the lingo and instructions given I'm hoping that I did not mess up and if so wondering if It can be salvaged.
First could there possibly be a conflict in the instructions on post 1 and post 3?
Specifically about when to add the mangoes and when to filter out etc,.
I basically have done what was listed in Post 3 where 5 days after the brew we put in the mangoes into the original carboy and planned on letting the mangoes sit for 5 additional days where we would then siphon and filter into another carboy and let sit for an additional 10 days.
To me, it looked like post 1 does not have the same directions. Can anyone help me clarify this, if what we have done is incorrect?
Thanks,
Phil

Phil,

First of all, excuses for the late reply
Second; sorry for the confusion.
I had the beer in first fermenter, after 5 days added the mango and had it sit for 5 more days, then transferred to secondary for 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Okay thanks for that. Drinking it now. Ha.
Did exactly what you outlined in your last post.
Phil

Drinking and enjoying it can be 2 different things!! Hope it is a tasty one!

Drinking and enjoying it. Ha
Had a couple over and we filled the 2liter growler several times.
I think I needed more ripe mangoes as the mangle flavor did not stand out as much as I thought it would. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Back