planting hops today, some questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
I have a Nugget and a Cascade rhizome that I'm going to be planting soon, but have a few questions (I live in PA by the way).

1.) How far apart is minimum? I read 5', but the space I have between my house end and the A/C unit will only let me plant them about 3-4' apart. Is this going to be ok?

2.) I'm planting them next to my house with has a poured concrete basement. I read that too much water is bad for them. Has anyone had any issues with hops nexts to their houses with basements (thus only having one direction for the water to drain away from the rhizomes.

3.) I'm planting one about 2' from a downspout for my roof. Any issues there?

4.) The other one will be about 2' from my AC unit. They won't, like, overtake that, will they? :D

That's about all I can think of now.

Thanks!

You can grow them in containers for a couple years. My 4 plants are just 2 foot or less apart and they do fine. I have to train them away from each other a little but the first couple years will be fine. You just have to keep an eye on them.
The downspout could be an issue washing away soil and fertilizer but you should be able to get one of those flexible diverter things.
I know nothing about basements but hops do like water, especially in their fist year growing roots.

My second year hops are planted along side my house, a basement 'below' them. My sump pump is also on this side of the house. So I haven't had issues with over watering them, the sump pumps moves the water away. I think first year hops can take as much water as you give them short of keeping them underwater/drowning them. They will soak it up. I think if you have a good line/trellis you won't have issues of them over taking anything. I think if you give up on growing them, and let them grow wild on the ground, then your AC is screwed.

Back