Heater for Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I can find an electric wrap / heater for my glass fermenters? I have seen a number of them for plastic fermenters, but none for glass fermenters.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bob

FermenWrap "If using carboy or bucket you can attach directly using tape" No warning about not using it with glass.

I can only speculate, but a thin tape heater might result in too much physical stress due to the narrow area being heated.

Thats a really good idea...Thank you. I actually just ordered a Brew Belt and plan on wrapping a towel around the carboy before applying the belt. I can't imagine something which is only 75 degrees will jeopardize the integrity of the carboy.

If anyone knows differently, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

Bob

Don't do the towel. It's an insulator, you'll be wasting your time and money. Apply directly to the carboy, it can take it. The wort will take heat away from the glass and stop it overheating.

It goes back to the being able to boil water in a paper cup over a bunsen burner thing.

mayday1019 said:
Thats a really good idea...Thank you. I actually just ordered a Brew Belt and plan on wrapping a towel around the carboy before applying the belt. I can't imagine something which is only 75 degrees will jeopardize the integrity of the carboy.

If anyone knows differently, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

Bob

I believe the instructions that came with my brew belt said not to use with glass carboys. You have to keep in mind that the belts will heat the wort to 75 degrees but the actual temperature of the belt is much, much higher in the immediate vicinity where it contacts the glass and thus that is the problem. Also I believe there is an old post on here of somebody cracking a glass carboy with a belt type heater but I'm too lazy to do the research...Also the instructions say not to use a towel under the belt as it can cause the belt to overheat.

Latest posts

Back