Slow to ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanomac

Reaction score
My cider has been in the primary for about 8 days. The OG was 1.071. I decided to check yesterday to see how it was coming along. I am now measuring about 1.050 - 1.052.

It has been fairly cool. The stick on thermometer is reading 60-61, but that may drop a bit at night. There was a bunch of foam and junk on top a few days after I pitched the yeast, but yesterday there were just a few bubbles on the surface. Any reason to panic? Should I just give it a couple more weeks? I don't see a ton of activity in the air lock, but it's still filling with gas. If I tap the top of the bucket lightly I will get a few bubbles. I'm hoping it's just a case of slow fermentation due to the temperature.

Just give it some time. This is typ for fermenation at that temp, which is a great temp for cider

+1, if you got the time, I'm sure the yeast will make some great cider for you. I would just set it and forget, but check the airlock every month or so to keep it from drying out.
Otherwise you could move it some place warmer if you don't mind the rhino farts.

I usually won't even check a cider until it has cleared completely. It's gonna be about a month.

OK. So my cider has been sitting in the primary for about 6 weeks. I checked it today and it is down to 1.020 from 1.071. Any idea why this is taking so long to ferment? It was getting cool in here for a while (maybe mid 50's), but now we have the heat on and it's been averaging 68-70F. Could it have crashed somehow? Is there any way to speed things up? I'd like to rack it into the secondary and possibly drink some by Thanksgiving. At this rate, I don't think I'll have any by Christmas.

I wouldn't expect it to be ready by Thanksgiving. After fermentation you are still going to want to give it some time (possibly in the fridge), to mellow out and condition.

you couldnt have cold crashed it with ambients of 50's. Its just a slow fermentation. Sometimes they are like that. I have learned to not worry about it, just give it time. I actually prefer a slower fermentation as the flavors tend to be more mellow and requires less conditioning time.

Back