Anyone buy "Allied Tools"??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I'm trying to find something to spend my credit card points on, and one of my options is a 235 piece kit from "Allied Tools". I'm curious if they are of decent build, or if its some crap job tool kit that you get free when you sign up for a credit card. I could also get a 14.4V Dewalt Drill, but I don't really need a second drill.

Any info would be great!

Never heard of them. Nor am I familiar with their numerous brand names. I'd just as soon get the Lowe's gift card if the option is available.

I always went with the LOWES and BEST Buy gift cards.
But as far as the 2nd drill, I'd re-think that. It's very nice working with two dills at once. I keep one with drill bit, one with driver bit, instead of constantly switching the piece back and forth.

The problem is that my SWMBO gave me the go ahead on Home depot and lowes as our main wedding registry (once we are engaged, etc).

I already have: Black and Decker 7.2V VPX drill that I keep in the car or boat for most simple projects as well as drilling pilot holes. I also have a 12V Dewalt XRP for the majority of my projects. If anything I'll step up to an 18V or 28V system when the money is right.

As for allied tools, I have looked into them a little further and they are crap. You'd be better off melting them down for scrap and getting the $$ to buy some real tools.

I agree with the 18v dewalt. I think I would take a Cheapo Depot card and buy a bigger drill. I have an 18v XRP and love it. Great for all sorts of things!

I hate corded drills unless I'm going into concrete. Variable speed is a huge plus when it comes to cordless systems as well. For general home use, a corded drill just doesn't fit the bill. No one wants to run a 50' extension cord so you can work on the shed in the back yard, etc.

I agree with the 18v dewalt. I think I would take a Cheapo Depot card and buy a bigger drill. I have an 18v XRP and love it. Great for all sorts of things!

The 14V XRP is more than adequate for everything short of drilling into concrete, and then you're not lugging around the extra weight. I was gonna go with the 18V XRP, but the guy at Lowes actually talked me down (which never happens!) to the 14V XRP because the 18V weighs so damn much. I mean, I'm a big strong guy, but that 18V is so big to be unwieldy in odd spaces, etc. Just my $.02.

My whole POV on the 18v is that I can get a hammer drill version of that, and still use either my 7.2 v for small spaces, my 12v for regular stuff, and the 18V for almost everything else. The other advantage is that the 18v system in general: just about any tool you would need with a cord, but cordless instead...

Back