3rd Batch - British Best Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I just sampled my third batch of beer (British Best Bitter) after it had been carbonating for about 2 weeks. I was a little shocked to find that it had more of a fruity flavor than I expected, however it came out very smooth. The hops are very subtle, but just enough bitterness at the end. Maybe it was the recipe, but I'm not sure why there's that fruity flavor. Anyway, here's the recipe:

6 lbs. light malt extract
1/2 lb. cara-pils malt
1 lb. medium crystal malt
2/3 oz. Target hop pellets* (bittering)
1/2 oz. Kent Golding hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Kent Golding hops (finishing)
1 pkg. Burton water salts
White Labs British Ale Yeast
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)

O.G. - 1.045
F.G. - 1.011

The primary fermentation hovered about 66-68F for 1 week, then was racked to the secondary for 2 weeks at 66F. Now it has been carbonating in the bottle for 2 weeks at 68F.

I thought Bitters were supposed to have a little 'fruity' flavor to them?

The Brewmasters Bible:
"Bitters range in color from bronze to deep copper and often have a pronounced fruitiness and touch of butterscotch in their flavor profile."

I sure am looking forward to the Bitter I am fermenting right now. Though it is just an ordinary Bitter :(

Well then I guess I nailed it :) I didn't mean to sound dumb, but brewing a BBB was on a whim so I didn't really know what to expect.

However, they must not have measured the extract very well because my OG came out to be 1.060 and an FG of 1.014.

Its funny, I just happened to be reading about Bitter just 10 minutes before I saw this thread. Otherwise I would have kept my mouth quiet as I am still a beginner (only on my second batch now) and normally don't know squat.

Back