Keg Lube--Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrettig

Reaction score
What is keg lube and what is it for? I've been kegging for about 10 batches now and seem to have survived without it. I should probably replace some of the rubber gaskets, but as Seinfeld would say, what's the deal with keg lube?

Matt

Yep I have 6 kegs but only 1 gets lubed on the lids cause it just refuses to seal without it.

I don't get it either. I don't use it and don't have any problems. Pepsi and coke didn't use it and managed to survive without it for decades.

O-rings work best when they can move a little, and when they aren't dried out. Lubricating them lightly takes care of both issues.

I use it. It seems to make my QD's go on and cone much easier. But I could just be my girls hands.

I noticed a big difference in ease of sealing my kegs once I started using the lube. For how cheap it is and how long a tube lasts why not give it a shot and use it? Much cheaper than replacing seals.

Never needed, I replace seals when I feel they don't seal. Seals are one of the cheapest things in kegging. Keg lube to me is like Fix-a-flat used in a situation when you don't have a spare. Just my opinion to each their own money better spent on a pack of new seals.

Pepsi and coke didn't use it and managed to survive without it for decades.

The local bottling plants here used it. I personally use a little on the o-rings every time I recondition a keg, but that's it. Never have reapplied it to any of my kegs. :shrug:

Keg lube to me is like Fix-a-flat used in a situation when you don't have a spare. Just my opinion to each their own money better spent on a pack of new seals.

Greasing o-rings is a standard practice in many, many systems/applications, it's really nothing like Fix-a-flat. Generally whenever the o-ring is going to slide against something else, it should be lubed. It does make them seal better and last longer by keeping them moist and allowing them to slide around a bit easier.

A better analogy would be comparing greasing an o-ring to keeping your tires properly inflated. The car will still drive if you're down a couple PSI on your front tires, but it's pretty simple to do and it'll allow you to drive more safely and efficiently, and get many more miles out of your set of tires.

I found keeping the locking balls on my QD's lubed solved any sticking (not the pin or poppet). I personally don't want lube in contact with MY beer food grade or otherwise not bashing anyone for using just voicing my opinion

I use it when a QD starts going on or off hard. Usually the gas side. A little dab 'll do ya.

Back